1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Corollaries of Lagrange's Theorm

1. Aug 5, 2014 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Not a homework question actually. I'm having trouble understanding some of the corollaries to Lagrange's theorem.

Theorem: Let H b e a subgroup of a finite group G. then |H| divides |G|

Corollary 1: if g is an element of a finite group G, then |g| divides |G|.
    proof: the cyclic subgroup |H| = <g> generated by g has |H| = |g|.
    question: how do we know such a cyclic subgroup H exists as required by the proof?

Corollary 2: If p is a prime, then every group G of order p is prime.
    proof: write H = <g>. Then |H| divides |G| so |H| is 1 or |H| = p = |G|.
    question: Again, how do we know that such a cyclic subgroup H exists in the first place?

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 5, 2014 #2

jbunniii

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

What is your definition of <g>?

I assume you mean "is cyclic".
    Same question as above: what is your definition of <g>?

4. Aug 5, 2014 #3
    <g> is defined a subgroup of G where g is an element of G and all the elements of <g> are {1, g, g^2, g^3, g^(n-1} where |G| = n. I believe.

Yes I meant to say "is cyclic" not "is prime" my bad.

5. Aug 5, 2014 #4

jbunniii

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

So far so good.
    ##|G| = n## is only true if ##G## is cyclic (and finite), and ##g## is a generator for ##G##. More generally, ##\langle g\rangle## might be a proper cyclic subgroup of ##G##. However, the key is that it's a subgroup. So what does Lagrange's theorem tell you about the size of ##\langle g\rangle##?

6. Aug 5, 2014 #5
    so this corollary only works if G is cyclic thus has a cyclic subgroup? or this corollary only works assuming there is a cyclic subgroup <g> of G? I feel like something is being assumed that the corollary statement didn't outright state.

7. Aug 5, 2014 #6

jbunniii

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

##\langle g \rangle## is always a cyclic subgroup, even if ##G## is not.

8. Aug 5, 2014 #7
    so every group has cyclic subgroups... I guess that's obvious now that I think about it. thanks a ton man, i'm new to this stuff X_X

9. Aug 5, 2014 #8

jbunniii

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Yes, that's right. Every element ##g## generates a cyclic subgroup ##\langle g \rangle##, but not necessarily distinct subgroups - some elements might generate the same subgroup. (For example, ##\langle g \rangle = \langle g^{-1} \rangle##.)

Since ##\langle g \rangle## is a subgroup, Lagrange's theorem constrains its size to be a divisor of ##|G|##.

The converse is not true in general: if ##d## is a divisor of ##|G|##, there isn't necessarily a subgroup (cyclic or not) of order ##d##.

However, pretty soon you will probably learn Cauchy's theorem, which says that if ##p## is any prime divisor of ##|G|##, then ##G## has a cyclic subgroup of order ##p##.

Last edited: Aug 5, 2014
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted