Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Bromine solution vs. Bromine

1. Apr 27, 2010 #1
    I know that bromine water means the liquid formed by dissolving bromine in water. Bromine is a liquid in nature. What is bromine solution then?

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 28, 2010 #2
    Exactly what it sounds like. Bromine in solution. I expect bromide solutions so be more mainstream though, as it exists in aqueous solution while bromine is nonpolar and is more susceptible to nonpolar solvents like CCl4. I never heard of uncharged bromine stoms in solution before.

4. May 10, 2010 #3
    Actually, bromine solution exists. And it's not related to bromine ions.
    It's safer to perform some experiments with bromine water (=bromine solution, they mean the same) then with elemental bromine. It has a few other uses, but I don't know them. IT'S NOT BROMIDE SOLUTION! Bromide solution is a solution with bromide ions. Bromine solution or bromine water is the solution of elemental bromine in water, with no ion formation. Since bromine is apolar, bromine is quite unsoluble in water, but its solutions are of use.

The same thing goes for iodine solution. However, iodine water may contain some iodide ions, since solubility of iodine in water is greatly increase by the presence of iodide ions, due to the formation of triiodide ions (I3-).

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook