Does Bromine (Br2) dissolve in water?

In summary, the conversation discusses the solubility of Bromine in water and the search for a nonpolar solute to increase the density of oil. It is mentioned that Bromine will not dissolve in small amounts and alternative substances such as Iodine and Fluorine are also considered. Additionally, the speaker recalls past experiences with concentrated Bromine in solution and suggests using substances such as chloroform, carbon disulfide, and carbon tetrachloride as nonpolar solutes for increasing oil density.
AqibH
Having trouble finding specifics about solubility of Bromine in water. I've read that it will not dissolve if present in small amounts. How much is small amounts?

Also, what about Iodine (I2) and Fluorine (F2).

In specific, I am looking for a nonpolar solute to increase the density of oil and the oil mixture should not be miscible with water.

I would appreciate all the help I can get.

Chemistry news on Phys.org
AqibH said:
Having trouble finding specifics about solubility of Bromine in water. I've read that it will not dissolve if present in small amounts. How much is small amounts?

Also, what about Iodine (I2) and Fluorine (F2).

In specific, I am looking for a nonpolar solute to increase the density of oil and the oil mixture should not be miscible with water.

I would appreciate all the help I can get.

I recall many years back, we stocked in the lab I worked in, Bromine in solution in water. Extremely concentrated to the extent that it "Smoked" when you removed the stopper. It had to be stored in a chiller in a bottle with a ground-glass stopper. The colour was a very deep red. Vile stuff. The vapour was as choking as Chlorine.

Last edited:
AqibH said:
aving trouble finding specifics about solubility of Bromine in water.

30 seconds googling, no idea why you have troubles.

http://www.bromaid.org/handbook/section1propertiesofbromine/section11physicalproperties/

1. What is the solubility of Bromine (Br2) in water?

The solubility of Bromine (Br2) in water is significantly influenced by temperature. At room temperature, approximately 3.41 g of Bromine can dissolve in 100 mL of water. However, as the temperature increases, the solubility of Bromine in water also increases.

2. How does Bromine (Br2) dissolve in water?

Bromine (Br2) dissolves in water through a process called hydration, where the water molecules surround and interact with the Bromine molecules, breaking them apart and allowing them to disperse evenly throughout the water.

3. Is Bromine (Br2) a polar or nonpolar molecule?

Bromine (Br2) is a nonpolar molecule. This means that it does not have a significant separation of positive and negative charges and does not easily interact with polar solvents like water. This is why it requires additional energy (e.g. heat) to dissolve in water.

4. How does the concentration of Bromine (Br2) affect its solubility in water?

The concentration of Bromine (Br2) does not directly affect its solubility in water. However, as more Bromine is added to the water, the solubility of the Bromine will eventually reach its limit, and any additional Bromine will not dissolve. This is known as the saturation point.

5. What are some other factors that can affect the solubility of Bromine (Br2) in water?

Besides temperature, other factors that can affect the solubility of Bromine (Br2) in water include pressure, the presence of other solutes, and the polarity of the solvent. Higher pressures can increase solubility, and the presence of other solutes can influence the interactions between Bromine and water molecules. Additionally, polar solutes may be able to interact with Bromine and decrease its solubility in water.