When propane gas is bubbled into bromine water, no colour changes, why?

In summary, when propane gas is bubbled into bromine water, no colour change occurs due to the fact that alkanes, which propane belongs to, have single bonds and are therefore unreactive with bromine water. This is because alkanes do not have any spare bonds for the bromine to bond with. Alkenes, on the other hand, have double bonds and are more reactive, resulting in a colour change when added to bromine water.
andyboy179
hi,
i need to know why, when propane gas is bubbled into bromine water, no colour changes occurs?

if you could tell me i will be very grateful

thanks!

Chemistry news on Phys.org
Hi andyboy.What have you found out so far?

I have found out that no colour change occures when propane gas is bubbled into bromine water, but I'm not sure why

Do you know anything about hydrocarbon families such as alkanes and alkenes?

yes i know a bit about them

would it be because alkanes don't have any spare bonds?

You're on the right track.Alkanes have single bonds only and this makes them fairly unreactive when compared to,for example,alkenes.When an alkane such as methane or ethane or propane etc is added to bromine water there is no reaction and no colour change.

oh i understand now, thanks alot!

1. Why is there no colour change when propane gas is bubbled into bromine water?

Propane gas is a nonpolar molecule, meaning it does not have a positive or negative charge. Bromine water is a polar solvent, meaning it has a positive and negative end. Since propane gas is nonpolar, it does not interact with the polar bromine water, resulting in no colour change.

2. Can any other gases be used to produce a colour change in bromine water?

Yes, other gases such as chlorine or sulfur dioxide can produce a colour change in bromine water. These gases are polar and can interact with the polar solvent, leading to a colour change.

3. Is there a specific ratio of propane gas to bromine water that will result in a colour change?

No, the lack of colour change is not dependent on the ratio of propane gas to bromine water. As long as there is a sufficient amount of propane gas present, the reaction will not produce a colour change.

4. How can the lack of colour change in this reaction be explained using the principles of polarity?

The principles of polarity state that polar molecules will interact with other polar molecules, while nonpolar molecules will not. In this case, propane gas is nonpolar and does not interact with the polar bromine water, resulting in no colour change.

5. Are there any other factors that can affect the colour change in this reaction?

Yes, temperature can also play a role in the reaction between propane gas and bromine water. Lower temperatures can slow down the reaction, resulting in a longer time for the colour change to occur. Additionally, impurities in either the propane gas or bromine water can also affect the reaction and potentially lead to a lack of colour change.