What Happens to Bromines in a Double Bond in Organic Chemistry?

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
4 replies · 2K views
KristinaMr
Messages
11
Reaction score
1
Homework Statement
if we have 1,2-dibromocyclohexene (double bond is between 1 and 2 carbon) and we add H2 over Pt, what is the final product?
Relevant Equations
-
I think that the double bond would be broken in some way but what happens to the two bromines? do they remain in the ring? (or does HBr forms? is it possible?)
 
Physics news on Phys.org
KristinaMr said:
I think that the double bond would be broken in some way
In what way, precisely?
KristinaMr said:
what happens to the two bromines? do they remain in the ring? (or does HBr forms? is it possible?)
What do you think happens to them? Keep in mind that platinum is a really really good hydrogenation catalyst.
 
the double bond breaks because bromines are detached from the ring leaving a place for hydrogens ...so now we are left with a saturated cyclohexane. Is it correct? ...and the two bromines just form Br2 (?)
 
KristinaMr said:
the double bond breaks because bromines are detached from the ring leaving a place for hydrogens ...so now we are left with a saturated cyclohexane. Is it correct? ...and the two bromines just form Br2 (?)
Yes, the product I would expect to get is cyclohexane. I'm not sure I would call that bond breaking, though. Maybe it's a language difference.