• Support PF! Buy your school textbooks, materials and every day products Here!

BS Applied Physics to Engineering PhD

• Programs
  • Thread starter misterme09
  • Start date

Main Question or Discussion Point

I'm a Rice University sophomore majoring in Applied Physics. I decided only within the past semester that I don't want to do pure physics my whole life (mainly due to the poor career choices). So I changed to applied physics.

My question now is if it is possible to go to graduate school in some type of engineering (ideally electrical or environmental). I will take a few electrical engineering courses as an undergrad for applied physics, so I hope that would help.

Also, given that it is possible, does that mean I will be facing even tougher competition coming from physics rather than engineering? Or will some graduate schools be happy to take some students with a slightly different background?

Thanks!

Answers and Replies

Boston University has a graduate engineering program for students whose undergrad was not in engineering.

http://www.bu.edu/eng/leap/

I don't think it's that big of a deal...you will already have had the math and the physics (and then some) that an engineer major will need, but you will have to probably spend a couple years making up lower level engineering courses. My uncle went from math undergrad to phd EE at MIT.

It is common.