1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Programs BS Applied Physics to Engineering PhD

1. Apr 15, 2007 #1
    I'm a Rice University sophomore majoring in Applied Physics. I decided only within the past semester that I don't want to do pure physics my whole life (mainly due to the poor career choices). So I changed to applied physics.

My question now is if it is possible to go to graduate school in some type of engineering (ideally electrical or environmental). I will take a few electrical engineering courses as an undergrad for applied physics, so I hope that would help.

Also, given that it is possible, does that mean I will be facing even tougher competition coming from physics rather than engineering? Or will some graduate schools be happy to take some students with a slightly different background?

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 15, 2007 #2
    Boston University has a graduate engineering program for students whose undergrad was not in engineering.

4. Apr 15, 2007 #3
    I don't think it's that big of a deal...you will already have had the math and the physics (and then some) that an engineer major will need, but you will have to probably spend a couple years making up lower level engineering courses. My uncle went from math undergrad to phd EE at MIT.
  5. Apr 15, 2007 #4
    It is common.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?