Bucket hanging on a rope(Tension)

• Thread starter TexasCow
  • Start date
In summary, the question asks for the tension in each rope holding a bucket of water weighing 200N and hanging at a 120-degree angle between two trees. Using the component method of vector addition, assuming each tension makes an angle of 60 degrees from the vertical, and considering the downward force of 200N, we can solve for the tensions in each rope using the equations F=ma, Rx=Ax+Bx+Cx, Ry=Ay+By+Cy, and R=[(Rx)^2+(Ry)^2]^(1/2).
TexasCow

Homework Statement

A bucket full of water weighs 200N. it is hanging from a rope tied between two trees. They form an angle of 120* with each other. The tensions are equal.

Homework Equations

F=ma
Rx=Ax+Bx+Cx
Ry=Ay+By+Cy
R=[(Rx)^2+(Ry)^2]^(1/2)

What's the tension in each rope?

The Attempt at a Solution

Should I use the component method of vector addition here? I'm in a dead end. I tried the component method but don't know if th angle is negative or positive, and I'm also not sure if the the resultant that I would find would be the correct answer.

Physics news on Phys.org
You haven't shown enough work for anyone to help you yet. But, yes, use the component method. Since the tensions in each rope are equal and there is 120 degrees between them you can assume each makes an angle of 60 degrees from the vertical. There is a 200N force downward and the vertical components of the tensions must sum to cancel that. Take it from there.

You should assume this

F=ma

where a = Zero

so...F= Zero

then you have to get the x and y components of each tension and do your equations...the rest is simple math

1. What is tension in the context of a bucket hanging on a rope?

Tension refers to the force applied by the rope on the bucket in order to keep it suspended. It is a result of the weight of the bucket and any other objects inside it, as well as the force of gravity acting on the bucket.

2. How does the tension in the rope change when the bucket is stationary?

When the bucket is stationary, the tension in the rope is equal to the weight of the bucket and any objects inside it. This is because the bucket is not accelerating and therefore, the net force acting on it is zero.

3. What happens to the tension in the rope when the bucket is moving?

When the bucket is moving, the tension in the rope may change depending on the direction of the motion. If the bucket is moving with a constant speed in a straight line, the tension in the rope remains constant. However, if the bucket is accelerating or changing direction, the tension in the rope will also change to accommodate the new forces acting on the bucket.

4. How does the length of the rope affect the tension in a bucket hanging on it?

The length of the rope does not directly affect the tension in the bucket. However, a longer rope will have a greater weight and may require a stronger tension to support the bucket. Additionally, a longer rope will have more stretch and may slightly decrease the tension in the rope.

5. Can the tension in the rope ever be greater than the weight of the bucket?

Yes, the tension in the rope can be greater than the weight of the bucket if the bucket is accelerating upwards. This means that the net force acting on the bucket is greater than just the force of gravity, resulting in a higher tension in the rope to support the bucket's motion.