1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Bucket hanging on a rope(Tension)

1. Jul 26, 2007 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    A bucket full of water weighs 200N. it is hanging from a rope tied between two trees. They form an angle of 120* with each other. The tensions are equal.

2. Relevant equations

What's the tension in each rope?

3. The attempt at a solution

Should I use the component method of vector addition here? I'm in a dead end. I tried the component method but don't know if th angle is negative or positive, and I'm also not sure if the the resultant that I would find would be the correct answer.
  2. jcsd
  3. Jul 26, 2007 #2

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

You haven't shown enough work for anyone to help you yet. But, yes, use the component method. Since the tensions in each rope are equal and there is 120 degrees between them you can assume each makes an angle of 60 degrees from the vertical. There is a 200N force downward and the vertical components of the tensions must sum to cancel that. Take it from there.
  4. Jul 27, 2007 #3
    You should assume this

where a = Zero

so...F= Zero

then you have to get the x and y components of each tension and do your equations...the rest is simple math
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?