Buffer solution working with DNA -- I have to dissolve dried oligos in PBS

In summary, buffer solutions are important for maintaining a stable pH level, which is crucial for the stability of DNA molecules. PBS, a commonly used buffer solution, is often used to dissolve dried oligos because it provides a suitable environment for their stability and functionality. Not all buffer solutions are suitable for this purpose, and precautions should be taken when working with them and DNA to ensure safety and prevent contamination.
chmenaive
This is the first time I am working with DNA and I have to dissolve the dried oligos in PBS( 10mM phosphate buffer, 100mM NaCl, ph=7.4) buffer. However I don't understand how to do that. I will really appreciate if somebody can please explain me. Thank you in advance.

Chemistry news on Phys.org

1. How does a buffer solution work with DNA?

A buffer solution helps maintain a stable pH level, which is crucial for the stability and function of DNA. DNA is sensitive to changes in pH, and a buffer solution helps prevent these changes by neutralizing any acids or bases that may be introduced.

2. Why use a buffer solution instead of just water?

Water alone does not have the ability to maintain a stable pH level, and can easily be affected by external factors such as temperature and contamination. A buffer solution is specifically designed to maintain a constant pH, making it ideal for working with sensitive molecules like DNA.

3. What is the best buffer solution to use for dissolving dried oligos in PBS?

The best buffer solution to use for dissolving dried oligos in PBS is Tris-EDTA (TE) buffer. TE buffer has a pH range of 8.0-8.4, which is ideal for working with DNA. It also contains EDTA, which helps prevent the degradation of DNA by chelating metal ions that can act as catalysts for DNA breakdown.

4. How do I prepare a buffer solution for dissolving dried oligos in PBS?

To prepare a buffer solution for dissolving dried oligos in PBS, you will need to mix Tris base, EDTA, and water in the correct proportions. The final concentration of Tris base should be 10mM and the final concentration of EDTA should be 1mM. The pH of the solution should be adjusted to 8.0-8.4 using HCl or NaOH.

5. Can I use a different buffer solution besides PBS for dissolving dried oligos?

Yes, you can use a different buffer solution besides PBS for dissolving dried oligos. However, it is important to choose a buffer solution with a pH range of 8.0-8.4 and containing EDTA to ensure the stability of the DNA. Some other commonly used buffer solutions for working with DNA include Tris-acetate-EDTA (TAE) buffer and Tris-borate-EDTA (TBE) buffer.