1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Build a machine that could defy gravity

1. Jan 5, 2010 #1
    Hey, first off I wanna say that I don't have much background with physics (that's the reason I don't know where to put this thread at, because I have no clue of what kind of physics this contains) even though I would love to. But anyways, I was thinking randomly the other day and I was wondering if there was a way to build a machine that could not only defy gravity and atmospheric pressure, but also take you around the world by not moving at all and letting the Earth revolve under you. I would like to hear some responses on some ways I could find information on this topic. I know it is probably insane in many eyes, but it just makes me wonder and I love learning more. Please help in any way and thank you for your help.

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 5, 2010 #2

russ_watters

Staff: Mentor

Welcome to PF.

The machine you are looking for is a balloon and it has already been used for this purpose. Understand, though, that the atmosphere mostly rotates with the earth, so it takes a lot longer than 24 hours to circumnavigate the globe this way.

4. Jan 6, 2010 #3
    they do launch geostationary satellites so a spacial satellite is probably possible as well and would avoid the effect of rotating atmosphere, but cost a lot more.

perhaps a balloon with some sort of propulsion to move in exactly the equal and opposite direction to the atmosphere hence not moving....

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook