Help, new physics student looking for advice

In summary, the individual is a physics student at Queen Mary's University in London who is interested in learning more about physics and plans to visit Massachusetts Institute, Stanford University, and California University in 2022. They are looking for advice on exchange rates and the best way to handle currency exchange while traveling. They also ask for any recommendations on physics courses or workshops in the UK or Canada.
LuluH
Hi All

I have just joined, i am a physics student & very much look forward to hearing more about , i am currently studying at Queen Mary's University in London but look to travel to other areas to learn more about the world of physics, however i was wondering, in 2022 I am looking to go & visit; Massachusetts Institute, Stanford Uni & California Uni just to see if I could learn anything and experience i can take away. (& get some sun! Tired of the miserable weather)

So I've been looking into the exchange rates & I'm going to attack it at the best time. (At the moment I am getting 1387.00 USD for 1000 GBP from my exchange. However what I need some advice on would be; When I go there will I have to pay tax or will it be similar to how it is in France? Is it cheaper to exchange in cash or use my UK card in a US machine at the airport? Is there any physics "courses" or workshops anyone could advise me on over in the UK or Canada?

I'm sorry if I ramble a bit here but I really appreciate the help.

Yours

Lulu

[Post edited by the Mentors to remove unnecessary links]

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Just reading your post, it seems like the first thing you could do is find contacts at those universities so you could actually visit those departments as they aren't going to let a non-student of the university just walk in and say hello.

Perhaps some of your current profs can give you some good contacts.

Exchange rates vary from day to day and from exchange service to exchange service. In general, its never a good idea to use an exchange service like an airport exchange service unless you need cash immediately and are willing to lose out in the exchange.

My personal feeling is its always better to let your credit card handle it if it can ie you might need an international credit card. Also you should carry at least $100 to $200 for miscellaneous expenses for when a credit card option isn't available.

https://www.marketwatch.com/story/why-you-should-have-an-international-credit-card-2019-06-04

Next you could use Airbnb and Uber to travel around in the host country unless your contacts can help for free. You need to check that those services will work with your international credit card.

1. What are the most important concepts to understand in physics?

The most important concepts to understand in physics include Newton's laws of motion, the laws of thermodynamics, electromagnetism, and the theory of relativity. It is also crucial to have a strong understanding of mathematical concepts such as calculus and algebra.

2. How can I improve my problem-solving skills in physics?

One of the best ways to improve problem-solving skills in physics is to practice as many problems as possible. This will help you understand the concepts better and develop a systematic approach to solving problems. You can also seek help from tutors or join study groups to discuss and solve problems together.

3. What resources can I use to supplement my learning in physics?

There are many resources available to supplement your learning in physics. These include textbooks, online lectures and tutorials, scientific journals, and educational websites. You can also attend physics seminars and workshops to gain a deeper understanding of specific topics.

4. How important is it to have a strong foundation in math for studying physics?

Having a strong foundation in math is crucial for studying physics as it is a highly mathematical subject. Concepts such as calculus, algebra, and trigonometry are essential for understanding and solving physics problems. It is recommended to brush up on these skills before starting your physics studies.

5. How can I stay motivated while studying physics?

Staying motivated while studying physics can be challenging, but there are a few things you can do to keep yourself motivated. These include setting achievable goals, taking breaks when needed, joining study groups, and reminding yourself of the real-world applications of physics. Also, don't be afraid to ask for help when you need it.