Building a cheap pitot tube for 20 CFM blower airflow

  • Thread starter Thread starter jack1978
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Pitot
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
2 replies · 2K views
jack1978
Messages
1
Reaction score
0
Hi,

I have a small project where I run air from a blower into a hose with one elbow (or joint) in there. I am trying to calculate the static pressure and velocity pressure as well as the final pressure at the end of the circuit and would imagine I need to use a pitot tube to do this.

My fan is small and the hoses are 1" - 2" in diameter. The airflow from the fan is approx 20 CFM.

I have looked online at pitot tubes and have not seen anything less than $300 for this tool.

Surely there is a cheaper way to do this or a cheaper version of this tool that students might use. It is not something I will use professionally so therefore do not want to spend $300.

Any help with this is greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Jack
 
Physics news on Phys.org
Pitot tubes are not necessary to do what I think you want to do. Many flow set ups use simple water manometers to measure small changes in pressure, or mercury manometers if larger changes are anticipated.
 
Agree entirely with SteamKing, a simple manometer is your best bet.
Just finding a pitot that would fit into a 1" diameter hose would be challenging and I'd be skeptical of the measurements, because it would distort the flow materially.
Separately, 20 CFM in a 1" diameter hose implies a vigorous flow. There will be heating effects.