Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Building a computing device for COMSOL and ABAQUS

1. Sep 17, 2016 #1
    Hello to everyone,

I've just started my PhD in Mechanical Engineering. And we've to buy a computing machine of high end to use ABAQUS and COMSOL software. Can any body recommend the machines which can run these both software.

P.S: We have to use Windows because there seems to be some graphics problems with ABAQUS for other Operating System.

P.S.2: We've a budget of almost $10k.

Thank you for your time.

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 23, 2016 #2
    Thanks for the thread! This is an automated courtesy bump. Sorry you aren't generating responses at the moment. Do you have any further information, come to any new conclusions or is it possible to reword the post? The more details the better.

4. Sep 24, 2016 #3
    We recently bought two hp z840 workstations, 32 cores and 256 Gb memory. We put windows on one of them and linux on the other. We are quite happy with them. They are very suitable for medium-large computational jobs and if used intensively they are cheaper than using the services of a commercial cluster. We use them for CFD analysis mostly. It falls in your price range.

5. Sep 24, 2016 #4

Nidum

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I don't understand the problem .

Just look on the ABAQUS and COMSOL websites - they both have whole subsections detailing requirements for computer systems .

6. Sep 24, 2016 #5
    My assumption was that 'we' was the research group/faculty and that 'they' were looking for a high-end computer to do some serious phd-research computing using abaqus/comsol. And that they were not looking for a computer that met the minimum requirements. Maybe I assumed too much.

7. Sep 24, 2016 #6

Nidum

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I was replying to the primary question and not to your response postings .

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted