Building a Parachute with Military Nylon

• Thread starter CallumA
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Parachute
In summary: Assuming you're not doing something illegal like launching a weapon into space, there is no harm in trying to build your own chute.
CallumA
Hi,
I'm building a weather balloon with some friends and we are wondering how we build the parachute.
We have decided to build one using nylon instead of buying one.
I have purchased 1m x 2m of parachute grade military nylon for about £3 but I haven't a clue how to build it.

The best idea on how I have thought of is cutting it into a hexagon, cutting a hole in the top and attaching string to each corner, will this be sufficient? If not, how should I do it?

Thanks in advance.

Engineering news on Phys.org
I also would recommend researching on how to pack a parachute so that when deployed it does so correctly. Nothing worse than free fall of your equipment due to a tangled parachute.

Thanks, my friend's mum used to pack parachutes for a job I believe so we can ask her.

Is that the best way to build a parachute though? And should I let it free fall half way from the stratosphere then deploy the parachute?

CallumA said:
Hi,
I'm building a weather balloon with some friends and we are wondering how we build the parachute.
We have decided to build one using nylon instead of buying one.
I have purchased 1m x 2m of parachute grade military nylon for about £3 but I haven't a clue how to build it.

The best idea on how I have thought of is cutting it into a hexagon, cutting a hole in the top and attaching string to each corner, will this be sufficient? If not, how should I do it?

Thanks in advance.

CallumA said:
Thanks, my friend's mum used to pack parachutes for a job I believe so we can ask her.

Is that the best way to build a parachute though? And should I let it free fall half way from the stratosphere then deploy the parachute?

We had a thread about this a while back. There are some real subtleties to trying to make a parachute work that high in the atmosphere:

https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=437146

You should research the options used in High Power Rocketry - there are some commercial sellers of chutes. If you value your cargo, I'd just buy something. You also need the knowledge on how to get the chute to deploy when you want it do. For very high altitudes, the best method is called dual deployment, where a small drogue chute is used for most of the decent, and then the larger main chute is popped out under 5000 feet AGL (above ground level). Otherwise, the item could drift for many tens of miles and the likelihood of recovery becomes very slim. You'll also need some method of tracking this, because you won't see it for long.

1. How strong is military nylon and why is it used for building parachutes?

Military nylon is incredibly strong and has a high tensile strength, meaning it can resist a lot of force without breaking. This makes it an ideal material for building parachutes, as it needs to withstand the weight of a person and the force of air resistance during descent.

2. Can military nylon withstand extreme temperatures?

Yes, military nylon is known for its ability to withstand extreme temperatures, both hot and cold. This is important for parachutes as they may be used in a variety of environments and need to maintain their strength and durability.

3. What are the benefits of using military nylon for building parachutes compared to other materials?

Military nylon is lightweight, strong, and durable, making it a popular choice for building parachutes. It is also resistant to mold, mildew, and chemicals, making it suitable for use in a variety of conditions. Additionally, it can be easily packed and stored for future use.

4. How do you ensure the parachute is properly constructed with military nylon?

Building a parachute with military nylon requires careful planning and precise construction techniques. It is important to follow instructions and guidelines from experienced professionals and to thoroughly inspect the parachute before each use to ensure it is in good condition.

5. Can a parachute built with military nylon be reused?

Yes, parachutes made with military nylon can be reused multiple times, as long as they are inspected and maintained properly. However, it is important to follow manufacturer's recommendations for the lifespan of the parachute and to retire it if it shows signs of wear and tear.