Building a Robot - Need Advices

In summary, the speaker is a second year Engineering Physics student working on building a robot with a team of four students. They are planning to use two motors for the rear wheels and a servo motor with PID control for steering the front wheels. They are considering using two differentials for the rear wheels and are unsure if this is the best option. They also have questions about the shock absorbing system and are currently thinking of using springs. They are seeking advice and potential designs for this system.
Creebe
Hello!

Well I am in second year Engineering Physics and we're building a robot this summer. We have four students in my team including myself. We're to build a robot that follows a loop of black tape on a track, and race with other robots.

I have a few questions:

1. We decided to use two motors to drive the two rear wheels, and use a servo motor with PID control to steer the front two wheels. We're wondering if it's better to use two differentials for the two rear wheels.

2. What kind of shock absorbing system should we use? The robot will probably weight at most 15 pounds. And it will have to jump off of a ramp which is probably 4-6 inches high. I'm thinking of using springs, but I haven't come up with a design yet. It would be great if you could provide a picture.

Thanks!

Engineering news on Phys.org
Creebe said:
1. We decided to use two motors to drive the two rear wheels, and use a servo motor with PID control to steer the front two wheels. We're wondering if it's better to use two differentials for the two rear wheels.

If you use two motors for the two rear wheels, why do you need a third motor to steer? Just differentially activate the rear wheels. Replace the front wheels with castors.

Alternately, use one motor to steer and the other to drive one (or both) rear wheels.

Either way, I don't see why you need more than two motors.

your problem points the robot is manually operated.
the explanation for diiferential by DaveC426913 is copletely justified.

for shock absorbing, i would say that for a 15 pounds load and a less that 200 m track, the rubber of the wheels itself is enough to sustain the load.
still if you feel its not safe, try searching on net for flexible brackets.
a conventional suspension would be too bulky for your config.

1. How do I get started with building a robot?

To get started with building a robot, you should first determine your goals and objectives for the robot. Then, familiarize yourself with the basic components and technologies used in robotics, such as motors, sensors, and microcontrollers. You can also find many resources online, such as tutorials and forums, to help guide you through the process.

2. What skills do I need to build a robot?

Building a robot requires a combination of mechanical, electrical, and programming skills. You should have a basic understanding of physics and mechanics, as well as knowledge of electronics and circuitry. Some experience with coding and programming languages, such as C++ or Python, is also beneficial.

3. What tools and materials do I need to build a robot?

The specific tools and materials needed will depend on the type of robot you are building. However, some common tools and materials include a soldering iron, wire cutters, motors, microcontrollers, sensors, and a power source. You may also need access to a 3D printer or other fabrication tools.

4. How much will it cost to build a robot?

The cost of building a robot can vary greatly depending on the complexity and features of the robot. Basic robots can be built for under $100, while more advanced and specialized robots can cost thousands of dollars. It is important to create a budget and research the costs of the specific components and materials you will need for your robot.

5. Where can I find help and support while building a robot?

There are many online communities and forums dedicated to robotics where you can find help and support from other hobbyists and experts. You can also attend workshops, classes, or join a local robotics club to learn from others and get hands-on experience. Additionally, many universities and organizations offer resources and workshops for individuals interested in building robots.