Can a Social Distancing Robot Help Us Stay Connected?

• Electronics
  • Thread starter seidi
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Robot
In summary, a social distancing robot has the potential to help us stay connected by providing a physical presence for individuals who are unable to be physically present due to social distancing measures. These robots can be equipped with cameras, microphones, and speakers to allow for virtual interactions and communication, as well as perform tasks such as delivering messages or packages. While they may not fully replace human interaction, social distancing robots can help bridge the gap and maintain connections during times of physical separation.
seidi
TL;DR Summary
Looking for ideas, and further resources on how to design and build a remote-controlled robot with a camera, to communicate with a person in a far geographical area in real-time
My girlfriend had this idea of building a robot controlled from distance, which could make the person controlling it to feel in the environment where the robot is. In the context of social distancing, person A would have the robot on his/her environment while person B could control this robot while talking with A (i.e. as an avatar, except in real-world)

Could be a tabletop robot with camera rotation (pitch and yaw) or a wheeled chassis with a camera, for example

My initial thought would be to integrate a raspberry pi or arduino (?) with a camera and servo-motors (basically a webcam which moves). In the case of a wheeled robot, then add DC motors and a battery (e.g.: ).

I'd like to ask you guys, do you have any project for reference? What do you think of the setup I mentioned and what should I look for to implement control over distance, for example via the internet? Moreover, how to implement an online, real-time control over distance?

Thanks!

Note : I'm not used to working with robotics, but I have experience with mechatronics engineering, so technical language is ok with me.

Physics news on Phys.org
Welcome to the PF. :smile:
seidi said:
Summary:: Looking for ideas, and further resources on how to design and build a remote-controlled robot with a camera, to communicate with a person in a far geographical area in real-time

My girlfriend had this idea of building a robot controlled from distance, which could make the person controlling it to feel in the environment where the robot is. In the context of social distancing, person A would have the robot on his/her environment while person B could control this robot while talking with A (i.e. as an avatar, except in real-world)

Could be a tabletop robot with camera rotation (pitch and yaw) or a wheeled chassis with a camera, for example

My initial thought would be to integrate a raspberry pi or arduino (?) with a camera and servo-motors (basically a webcam which moves). In the case of a wheeled robot, then add DC motors and a battery (e.g.: ).

I'd like to ask you guys, do you have any project for reference? What do you think of the setup I mentioned and what should I look for to implement control over distance, for example via the internet? Moreover, how to implement an online, real-time control over distance?

Thanks!

Note : I'm not used to working with robotics, but I have experience with mechatronics engineering, so technical language is ok with me.

Google gave me good hits when I searched on VR Remote Robot:

https://www.google.com/search?client=firefox-b-1-d&q=vr+remote+robot

Have a look at that hit list to see if it gives you some ideas. I think this is a pretty active area or work, with many existing systems that you can learn from. Fun project, BTW. :smile:

Likes seidi
I have seen this on TV shows (comedies).
I saw one on the Psych show that seemed to be an i-Pad in a rolling stand.
Sheldon's, here, is maybe a bit fancier.

berkeman said:
Welcome to the PF. :smile:

Google gave me good hits when I searched on VR Remote Robot:

https://www.google.com/search?client=firefox-b-1-d&q=vr+remote+robot

Have a look at that hit list to see if it gives you some ideas. I think this is a pretty active area or work, with many existing systems that you can learn from. Fun project, BTW. :smile:

Thanks! VR Remote Robot does seems like an inspiring search :thumbup:

Likes berkeman
BillTre said:
I have seen this on TV shows (comedies).
I saw one on the Psych show that seemed to be an i-Pad in a rolling stand.
Sheldon's, here, is maybe a bit fancier.

Sheldon's idea seems a lot like what I was looking for haha
I found some commercial solution like it, but trying to make a solution of my own. Thanks for inspiration

What is a social distancing robot?

A social distancing robot is a type of robot that is designed to help enforce social distancing measures in public spaces. It is equipped with sensors and technology that allow it to detect and monitor the distance between individuals and remind them to maintain a safe distance.

How does a social distancing robot work?

A social distancing robot uses a combination of sensors, cameras, and artificial intelligence to detect and monitor the distance between individuals. It can also be equipped with speakers or screens to remind people to maintain a safe distance. Some robots also have the ability to move around and navigate through crowds to ensure social distancing is being followed.

What are the benefits of using a social distancing robot?

Using a social distancing robot can help reduce the spread of infectious diseases, such as COVID-19, by reminding people to maintain a safe distance. It can also help reduce the burden on human workers who may have to monitor and enforce social distancing measures in public spaces.

Are there any limitations to using a social distancing robot?

Some limitations of using a social distancing robot include the cost of purchasing and maintaining the robot, as well as potential technical issues or malfunctions. Additionally, the effectiveness of the robot may also depend on the compliance of individuals in following social distancing guidelines.

Can a social distancing robot be used in all public spaces?

While a social distancing robot can be used in many public spaces, its effectiveness may vary depending on the environment. For example, a robot may have difficulty navigating through crowded areas or may not be suitable for outdoor use in certain weather conditions. It is important to consider the specific needs and limitations of each public space before implementing a social distancing robot.