Building a Solar Collector: Linking Theory to Practice

In summary, the website had these units: KWh/m^2/day. I am unsure about the units...are the above ones ok? as in the website had these units [KWh/m^2/day]. I think I would get one of the books suggested on that site (or the ones it links to) before you start buying parts.
grey
also, i am unsure about the units...are the above ones ok? as in the website had these units [ KWh/m^2/ hello everyone!
i know that solar collectors are commonplace in many parts of the world (tho not mine) so this might sound a bit stupid...

anyway, i wanted to make (actually build) a solar collector and am finding it hard to link theory with practice...anyhow, my dsegin is simple having a copper pipe run through a wooden frame. On top of the base (wooden) lies the absorber (which i hope to make out of a copper sheet 1m x 1m with a semi-circular trough all the way in which would be placed the copper pipe (which if i can, i would attempt to also get welded to the sheet) ). On top of the frame lies a sheet of glass which would, if the theory is right, create a greenhouse effect in the collector for the temperature of the water to rise as much as possible

i am planning to make a 1m x 1m panel. the thickness would depend on the diameter of pipe available to me but i hope to have it around 0.5 inch to 1 inch.
A rough sketch, I am pasting below…
so,
first, i would like someone with expertise to verify if the design is fundamentally sound. My problem is that my budget is limited, so i don't think i would be able to make and then remake, tho minor tweaks should be okay
second, i am assuming that the power/meter the surface of where the collector will function to be around 5 KWh/m^2 (this is based on the arithmetic mean of data for a place near my exact location i found on the internet from that available for each month)
day ]
third, it would really nice if someone helps in getting all the details right by pointing it out here...
[I am looking to heat the water to as high a temp as possible with 1m squre panel, tho a 20 to 70 degree differential would be fantastic…again that would depend on the efficiency of the collector (which I guess can only be calculated after the thing is made), the ambient irradiance, mass flow rate (which I think might depend on the pipe diameter) etc etc]

Thanks in advance

Attachments

• solar collector.GIF
    solar collector.GIF
    6.2 KB · Views: 476
Engineering news on Phys.org
Not sure 1in copper pipes are the most cost effective, you generally want very thin pipes so that as much water as possible is in contact with the walls.
And a 1m x 1m copper sheet isn't going to be cheap (unless you already have it)

There are a low of solar hot water project sites on the web eg.
http://www.builditsolar.com/Projects/WaterHeating/water_heating.htm

mgb_phys said:
Not sure 1in copper pipes are the most cost effective, you generally want very thin pipes so that as much water as possible is in contact with the walls.
Noted:smile:

mgb_phys said:
And a 1m x 1m copper sheet isn't going to be cheap (unless you already have it)
hmm...actually i don't have one...can you actually tell what material might be better (cheaper and acceptable) as an absorber??

howtopedia (www.howtopedia.com) mentions copper, aluminum, steel and 'plastics' as potential absorbers. i doubt such plastics would be available over here...but can u mention any other materials??

mgb_phys said:
There are a low of solar hot water project sites on the web eg.
http://www.builditsolar.com/Projects/WaterHeating/water_heating.htm
i had been to that website, in fact to many others, but i couldn't find that detail i want to make the panel

I think I would get one of the books suggested on that site (or the ones it links to) before you start buying parts.
Most of the home projects seem fairly cheap/simple.
If you live somewhere that freezes part of the year it might get a bit more complicated

1. What is a solar collector and how does it work?

A solar collector is a device that collects and converts solar energy into usable heat or electricity. It works by using a series of mirrors or lenses to concentrate sunlight onto a receiver, which then converts the sunlight into thermal or electrical energy.

2. What materials are needed to build a solar collector?

The materials needed to build a solar collector can vary depending on the type and design of the collector. However, some common materials include solar cells, mirrors, glass or plastic sheets, insulation, and a frame or support structure. Other components such as wiring, tubing, and a heat exchanger may also be required.

3. How do I calculate the size and efficiency of a solar collector?

The size and efficiency of a solar collector can be calculated using various equations and formulas based on factors such as the amount of sunlight, surface area, and thermal or electrical output desired. It is important to consider the specific design and materials of the collector when making these calculations.

4. Can I build a solar collector myself or do I need professional help?

It is possible to build a simple solar collector on your own with basic knowledge and tools. However, more complex or larger solar collectors may require professional help to ensure proper design, installation, and safety. It is always recommended to consult with a professional before attempting to build a solar collector.

5. Are there any safety precautions to consider when building a solar collector?

Yes, there are several safety precautions to consider when building a solar collector. First, always use caution when working with sharp or fragile materials such as glass, mirrors, or solar cells. Additionally, be aware of potential electrical hazards when installing wiring or connecting solar panels. It is also important to properly secure the collector to prevent it from falling or causing damage. Always follow safety guidelines and consult with a professional if needed.