Building a step by step course for different subjects in mathematics

In summary, the conversation is about a person seeking advice on how to build a course for self-studying various topics in math, such as linear algebra, optimization, statistics, and probability. The other person suggests using Obsidian, a note-taking application, to organize and connect notes and recommends resources such as a thread on math books and websites like Khan Academy and Math Is Power 4 U. They also provide a list of articles about self-study.
chiraganand
Hi,

I mostly do Self study and I was wondering how to build up a course ie the.different levels from beginner to advanced in the fields of linear algebra, optimization (rbfs etc), statistics and probability? Suggestions of books with the various levels is welcome. Please help me out in this as I am all over the place

Likes PhDeezNutz
Physics news on Phys.org
Well one thing you could check out is Obsidian. Its a kind of note taking application that uses markdown+latex for entering notes. Notes can reference other notes to basically create a personal wikipedia of your notes.

I've been playing with it for a awhile now and like what it can do. You could use it to organize and interconnect your notes and thoughts on math.

https://obsidian.md/

We have a thread dedicated to math books:

https://www.physicsforums.com/threads/free-math-books.796225/

and there are good short videos on math at www.khanacademy.com and at www.mathispower4u.com

I particularly like Math Is Power 4 U since its a comprehensive set of 5000 videos covering middle school to first year college Calculus 1,2,3 Linear Algebra, Differential Equations and Statistics. Everything a budding scientist needs for undergraduate studies at college.

• Informative
Likes PhDeezNutz, berkeman and topsquark

1. How do you determine the appropriate level for a step by step course in mathematics?

The appropriate level for a step by step course in mathematics can be determined by considering the target audience and their prior knowledge in the subject. It is important to assess the current level of understanding and skills of the students to ensure that the course is not too easy or too difficult for them.

2. What is the best approach for organizing the content of a step by step course in mathematics?

The best approach for organizing the content of a step by step course in mathematics is to follow a logical sequence. This means starting with the basics and building upon them gradually, ensuring that each concept is connected and builds upon the previous one. It is also helpful to divide the content into smaller sections or modules for better understanding and retention.

3. How do you make a step by step course in mathematics engaging and interactive?

To make a step by step course in mathematics engaging and interactive, it is important to incorporate a variety of teaching methods such as videos, interactive activities, and real-life examples. This will help to keep the students interested and motivated to learn. It is also helpful to include opportunities for student participation and practice throughout the course.

4. How can you ensure that the step by step course in mathematics is accessible to all learners?

To ensure that the step by step course in mathematics is accessible to all learners, it is important to use clear and concise language, avoid jargon, and provide visual aids and examples. It is also helpful to provide alternative formats for students with different learning styles, such as audio recordings or written transcripts of videos.

5. How do you assess the effectiveness of a step by step course in mathematics?

The effectiveness of a step by step course in mathematics can be assessed through various methods such as quizzes, tests, and assignments. It is also helpful to gather feedback from students to see if they feel they have gained a better understanding of the subject and if they found the course engaging and informative.