Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

A Building a synchrotron light source

1. Jun 22, 2017 #1
    Lately, I've wanted to build a compact source of synchrotron radiation that is accessible to researchers with size and budget constraints. So far, I've managed to outline designs of the superconducting dipole magnets that will be used to keep electrons moving in a ring path within the booster ring and storage ring. In the LINAC injector for the initial electron acceleration, what radio frequency would be best to accelerate electrons in a most efficient manner? I am currently using the LHC design report from in order to aid in my research. Any help will be appreciated.

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 22, 2017 #2

mfb

2016 Award

Staff: Mentor

What does "I've wanted to build" mean? It is certainly not a project for your garage.
    You don't need superconducting dipole magnets for synchrotron sources - you do not want high field strengths there anyway. And undulators work well with permanent magnets.
    Depends on too many other parameters to tell.
    The LHC is a proton (and heavy ion) synchrotron. A completely different type of accelerator.

4. Jun 22, 2017 #3
    Instead of a synchrotron could I have just an electron linac with an undulator at the end to produce to produce x rays? My goal would be to get the electrons to 20 MeV or more before the electrons get undulated. In the case of a linac, the only magnets i would need are quadrupoles to concentrate the beam.

5. Jun 22, 2017 #4

mfb

2016 Award

That can be a nice project for a research institute - with a budget of many millions, and if you are fine with x-rays so soft that they are more in the near UV.

6. Jun 22, 2017 #5
    Would a smaller scale light source really cost millions? I really think it would be possible to build a small light source. Michio Kaku built his own betatron as a highschooler.

7. Jun 22, 2017 #6

mfb

2016 Award

A betatron is much easier than a synchrotron light source (with useful light output).

8. Jun 24, 2017 #7

Vanadium 50

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor

Do you have any background in accelerator physics? The LHC is an unusual starting point, as it's mission - and as mfb points out, even the particles it accelerates - is very different than a synchrotron light source's. And if you want it under a million, you need to shave 4 zeros off the price tag.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted