Calculating Buoyancy: Solving for the Height of a Boat in Salt Water

In summary: The height the boat will rise in salt water is proportional to the volume of water displaced, so the higher the volume of water displaced, the higher the boat will rise.
BrainMan

Homework Statement

A small boat weighing 1000 N has a surface area of 3 m^2. It floats only 5 cm above the water level when in a fresh-water lake. How high out of the water will it ride in a salt-water lake? Assume the surface area of the boat does not change as it rises (salt water has a density of about 1.03 x 10^3 kg/m^3).

Homework Equations

B = pVg

The Attempt at a Solution

I can use the above equation to solve for the volume of the water displaced which will be the same as the volume of the boat. Unfortunately I am not sure were to go from there. I am not sure how to find the relationship between the height the boat rises in the water and it's volume. I also am not sure what to do with the information it gave me on the boats surface area.

Physics news on Phys.org
The "surface area" of the boat should be understood as the area enclosed by the boat's outline at the water line. If this area is 3 m^2 and the boat rises by 5 cm, by how much will the submerged volume of the boat be reduced?

I'm sure it would be much clearer if they'd said the boat is in the shape of an upright rectangular box!

Likes BrainMan and jbriggs444
jbriggs444 said:
The "surface area" of the boat should be understood as the area enclosed by the boat's outline at the water line. If this area is 3 m^2 and the boat rises by 5 cm, by how much will the submerged volume of the boat be reduced?
So it's not the surface area of the entire boat just the part of the boat under the water?

What is the displaced volume of salt water required to support the weight of the boat? What is the displaced volume of fresh water required to support the weight of the boat? What is the difference in displaced volume between salt water and fresh water?

Chet

Chestermiller said:
What is the displaced volume of salt water required to support the weight of the boat? What is the displaced volume of fresh water required to support the weight of the boat? What is the difference in displaced volume between salt water and fresh water?

Chet
Volume of water displaced for fresh water = .102 m^3
volume of water displaced for salt water = .0991 m^3
difference in water displaced = .0029 m^3

If the boat cross sectional area at the water line is 3 m^2, for the volume difference you calculated, how much higher will the boat float in salt water?

Chet

Chestermiller said:
If the boat cross sectional area at the water line is 3 m^2, for the volume difference you calculated, how much higher will the boat float in salt water?

Chet
I'm not sure that's the part I'm having trouble with

BrainMan said:
I'm not sure that's the part I'm having trouble with
But it's the only step you have left to do.

Likes Chestermiller

1. What is Archimedes' principle?

Archimedes' principle states that the upward buoyant force exerted on an object immersed in a fluid is equal to the weight of the fluid that the object displaces.

2. How is Archimedes' principle used in problem-solving?

Archimedes' principle is used to determine the buoyant force on an object submerged in a fluid, and can be used to solve problems involving floating and sinking objects, as well as the density of a fluid.

3. What is the formula for Archimedes' principle?

The formula for Archimedes' principle is FB = ρVg, where FB is the buoyant force, ρ is the density of the fluid, V is the volume of the fluid displaced, and g is the acceleration due to gravity.

4. Can Archimedes' principle be applied to objects in non-uniform fluids?

Yes, Archimedes' principle can be applied to objects in non-uniform fluids, as long as the density of the fluid at the level of the object is known.

5. How does Archimedes' principle relate to the concept of buoyancy?

Archimedes' principle is directly related to the concept of buoyancy, as it explains the phenomenon of why objects float or sink in a fluid. It states that the buoyant force exerted on an object is equal to the weight of the fluid it displaces, which is what causes objects to float when the buoyant force is greater than their weight, and to sink when the buoyant force is less than their weight.