1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Buoyancy - Maximum mass a styrofoam sphere can hold in water.

1. May 17, 2012 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Styrofoam has a density of . What is the maximum mass that can hang without sinking from a 20.0 -diameter Styrofoam sphere in water?
    Assume the volume of the mass is negligible compared to that of the sphere.

2. Relevant equations
    FB = ρfVg
    Fg = mg

3. The attempt at a solution
    So this is as far as I can get.
    The buoyancy force on the sphere is FB = ρfVg = 1000kg/m3 * pi * 0.22 * 9.8 = 333.54.
    However we need to take into account the weight of the sphere.
    The weight of the sphere = ρ*V = 300*pi*0.22 = 10.2
    This means the net weight on the sphere is Fnet = 333.54 - (10.2*9.8) = 233.54
    So the maximum weight that can be hung on the sphere must have a downward force of precisely that. mg = 233.54. m = 23.8kg.
    But apparently thats not it, any pointers?

2. jcsd
  3. May 17, 2012 #2
    well first off, the DIAMETER is 20 cm

4. May 17, 2012 #3
    Oh wow. Just a multitude of stupid mistakes!
    The diameter is 20cm so the radius is 10cm. AND the volume of a sphere is 4/3 pi r^3, I was doing the area of a circle.
    Argh, I'll hang my head in shame now.

5. May 17, 2012 #4
    heh, don't worry, we all make mistakes like that

I even saw one of my professors do the same thing in a lecture; he used the diameter instead of radius

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook