Buoyancy question about styrofoam

• Thread starter HadManySons
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Buoyancy
In summary, to find the tension required to support a 0.137 kg solid platinum object in water, subtract the buoyant force from the weight of the platinum. The correct answer is 1.28 Newtons. To determine the volume of Styrofoam needed to have both the Styrofoam and the metal floating just under the water surface, set all forces in equilibrium and solve for the volume. This can also be done by using the equation ρwVg = ρsVg + T, where ρw is the density of water, ρs is the density of Styrofoam, V is the volume, and T is the tension calculated in the first part. The resulting volume is
HadManySons

Homework Statement

The first part of the question states this: If we want to buoy a 0.137 kg solid platinum object in water with an attached string from above, what is the tension required to support the piece of platinum?

The correct answer is: 1.28 Newtons. I got this by subtracting the buoyant force, which was

(.137kg/(21450kg/m^3)) * (9.8m/s^2) * (1000 kg/m^3) = .062593N
the volume of platinum g density of water

from the weight of the platinum: 1.3426 Newtons

What I'm trying to find now is this, "If the object is now attached to a piece of Styrofoam, what volume of Styrofoam (density rho_s = 95 kg/m3) should be used to have the Styrofoam and the metal floating just under the water surface?". But I've hit a stopping point and can't seem to get the right answer

Homework Equations

density = mass/volume

buoyant force = volume displaced * gravity * density of fluid

The Attempt at a Solution

I had set everything in equilibrium, meaning:
Buoyant force + Weight of Styrofoam + weight of the platinum = 0

But how do I know the volume of the water displaced if I don't already know the volume of Styrofoam that I need?

Physics news on Phys.org
HadManySons said:
I had set everything in equilibrium, meaning:
Buoyant force + Weight of Styrofoam + weight of the platinum = 0
That's fine, but it might be easier to just look at forces on the Styrofoam piece. (Since you calculated the tension in the string, why not use it?)

But how do I know the volume of the water displaced if I don't already know the volume of Styrofoam that I need?
Express the forces in terms of the volume. Then you can solve for it.

Well I finally figured it out. The equation ended up being:

9.8 m/s2 * 1000 kg/m3 * (VolumeStyrofoam + 5.67E-6The volume of platinum) = 1.3426 Nweight of platinum + (9.8m/ss * 95kg/m3density of Styrofoam * VolumeStyrofoam)

Which is then:
9800V + .0559421= 1.3426 + 931V
8869V = 1.2870058
V = 1.45E-4 m3 of Styrofoam.

Good. Making use of the results from the first part (the tension), you could use:
ρwVg = ρsVg + T

Solving for V gives you the same result.

Doc Al said:
Good. Making use of the results from the first part (the tension), you could use:
ρwVg = ρsVg + T

Solving for V gives you the same result.

I had wondered how to go about that, since you had mentioned it earlier. Thanks for pointing that out.

1. What is buoyancy?

Buoyancy is the upward force exerted by a fluid (such as water) on an object that is partially or completely submerged in the fluid. It is caused by the difference in pressure between the top and bottom of the object.

2. How does styrofoam affect buoyancy?

Styrofoam is a type of plastic foam that is made up of tiny air pockets. This makes it very lightweight and less dense than water, causing it to float on the surface of water. When submerged, the air pockets in styrofoam create enough buoyant force to keep it afloat.

3. Why does styrofoam float on water?

Styrofoam floats on water because it is less dense than water. This means that the weight of the water displaced by the styrofoam is greater than the weight of the styrofoam itself, causing it to float.

4. Can the buoyancy of styrofoam be changed?

Yes, the buoyancy of styrofoam can be changed by altering its shape or size. For example, compressing or cutting the styrofoam can decrease its volume and therefore decrease its buoyancy, causing it to sink.

5. How is buoyancy important in everyday life?

Buoyancy is important in everyday life because it explains why objects float or sink in a fluid. It also plays a crucial role in many industries, such as shipping and fishing, where understanding buoyancy is essential for designing and operating ships and boats. Additionally, buoyancy is important in recreational activities like swimming and scuba diving, where knowing how to maintain neutral buoyancy can enhance safety and enjoyment.