Buoyant Pressure problem number 7

In summary, the problem involves finding the mass of a floating piece of wood on water when a beaker partially filled with water reads 22.0g on a scale. The equation used is m = density x volume and the mass of the wood is equal to the density of the wood multiplied by its volume. It is important to be careful with units when calculating the mass. Adding the mass of the wood to the mass of the beaker and water gives a total mass of 23.9g, which is the expected answer.
ChunkymonkeyI

Homework Statement

When a beaker partially filled with water is placed on an accurate scale the scale reads 22.0g. If a piece of wood with a density of 0.905 kg/dm^3 and volume of 2.10 cm^3 is floating on the water, what will the scale read

Homework Equations

m=Density times volume

The Attempt at a Solution

m=density times volume
m=1000 kg/m^3 times 2.1 times 10^-8 m^3
m=2.1 times 10^-8 g
and when I add that to 22.0 g i still get 22.0 g but the answer should be 23.9 g and idk what I'm doing wrong. maybe I didn't account for the object floating on water or something like that so can someone please help me

Physics news on Phys.org
the mass of the wood is just the density of the wood times the volume of the wood.

I think 22g means the mass of the beaker & water (in grammes). So all you need to do is add the mass of the wood to this mass to get the total mass which the scale will read.

Be careful with the dm and cm units.

1. What is Buoyant Pressure problem number 7?

Buoyant Pressure problem number 7 is a specific problem that involves determining the buoyant force acting on an object immersed in a fluid. It is typically part of a larger set of problems related to fluid mechanics and buoyancy.

2. How do you solve Buoyant Pressure problem number 7?

The key to solving any buoyancy problem is to first determine the density of the fluid and the density of the object. From there, you can use the equation Fb = ρVg, where Fb is the buoyant force, ρ is the density of the fluid, V is the volume of the object submerged, and g is the acceleration due to gravity. Once you have calculated the buoyant force, you can compare it to the weight of the object to determine if it will sink or float.

3. What are the units for the variables in the equation for Buoyant Pressure problem number 7?

The units for the variables in the equation Fb = ρVg are as follows: Fb is measured in Newtons (N), ρ is measured in kilograms per cubic meter (kg/m³), V is measured in cubic meters (m³), and g is measured in meters per second squared (m/s²).

4. Are there any special cases to consider when solving Buoyant Pressure problem number 7?

Yes, there are a few special cases to consider when solving this problem. One is when the object is completely submerged in the fluid, in which case the buoyant force is equal to the weight of the fluid displaced by the object. Another special case is when the object is floating partially submerged, in which case the buoyant force is equal to the weight of the fluid displaced by the submerged portion of the object.

5. How is Buoyant Pressure problem number 7 relevant in real-world applications?

Buoyant Pressure problem number 7 is relevant in many real-world applications, such as determining the buoyancy of ships and submarines, designing floating structures, and understanding the behavior of objects in water or other fluids. It also has practical applications in industries such as oil and gas, where buoyancy calculations are necessary for drilling and extracting materials from underwater environments.