Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Burner and fuel consumption rate

1. Dec 24, 2015 #1
    I don't know how to determine the fuel consumption rate of a gas burner and would like to seek for help.
    Also, is there any relationship between the number of rings of gas burner and the fuel consumption rate?

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 24, 2015 #2

russ_watters

Staff: Mentor

Welcome to PF!

Rings? What rings? Yes, we can help, but you'll need to be more descriptive.

4. Dec 24, 2015 #3
    Hi russ, I'm referring to the cast iron ring stove burner (or ring gas burner).

5. Dec 24, 2015 #4
    When we purchase a gas burner stove, it comes with a heat value like in MJ/hr. I wonder how this value comes from and how could it be determined.

6. Dec 24, 2015 #5

russ_watters

Staff: Mentor

Like this?:
    5-four-ring-burner.jpg

Yes, a larger burner will generally use more gas to produce more heat.
    It comes directly from the energy capacity of the fuel. If we're talking about natural gas, it has an energy density of 56 MJ/kg. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Energy_density#Energy_densities_ignoring_external_components

Figure 70% combustion efficiency and about 50% heat transfer efficiency (that one can vary a lot) and you can easily calculate the fuel flow rate based on desired heating.

7. Dec 24, 2015 #6

CWatters

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Here in the UK gas rings are usually rated in Watts (Actually in kW). To work out the rate of gas consumption you have to know the energy density of the fuel as Russ said.

8. Jan 2, 2016 #7
    Russ,
    Yes, the figure shows the burner that I'm talking about.
    So, if we use energy density (MJ/kg) to calculate fuel consumption rate (MJ/hr), it means that we need to know the fuel flow flate (kg/hr).
    However, how could we determine this fuel flow rate?

9. Jan 2, 2016 #8
    Is it related to the flowrate provided by the power company?
    If yes, then how to determine the fuel flowrate for stoves with 2 and 3 rings?
    As more the number of rings, the higher is the fuel consumption rate.
    Thank you for your help!

10. Jan 2, 2016 #9

CWatters

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

There are three variables....
    Power
    Flow rate
    Energy density

If you know any two you can work out the third. Which two do you know?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook