Burner and fuel consumption rate

In summary: The first variable is the power provided by the power company. The second is the flow rate. The third is the energy density of the fuel.
MTGreen
I don't know how to determine the fuel consumption rate of a gas burner and would like to seek for help.
Also, is there any relationship between the number of rings of gas burner and the fuel consumption rate?

Engineering news on Phys.org
Welcome to PF!

Rings? What rings? Yes, we can help, but you'll need to be more descriptive.

Hi russ, I'm referring to the cast iron ring stove burner (or ring gas burner).

When we purchase a gas burner stove, it comes with a heat value like in MJ/hr. I wonder how this value comes from and how could it be determined.

MTGreen said:
Hi russ, I'm referring to the cast iron ring stove burner (or ring gas burner).
Like this?:
5-four-ring-burner.jpg

Yes, a larger burner will generally use more gas to produce more heat.
When we purchase a gas burner stove, it comes with a heat value like in MJ/hr. I wonder how this value comes from and how could it be determined.
It comes directly from the energy capacity of the fuel. If we're talking about natural gas, it has an energy density of 56 MJ/kg. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Energy_density#Energy_densities_ignoring_external_components

Figure 70% combustion efficiency and about 50% heat transfer efficiency (that one can vary a lot) and you can easily calculate the fuel flow rate based on desired heating.

Likes billy_joule
Here in the UK gas rings are usually rated in Watts (Actually in kW). To work out the rate of gas consumption you have to know the energy density of the fuel as Russ said.

Likes billy_joule
Russ,
Yes, the figure shows the burner that I'm talking about.
So, if we use energy density (MJ/kg) to calculate fuel consumption rate (MJ/hr), it means that we need to know the fuel flow flate (kg/hr).
However, how could we determine this fuel flow rate?

Is it related to the flowrate provided by the power company?
If yes, then how to determine the fuel flowrate for stoves with 2 and 3 rings?
As more the number of rings, the higher is the fuel consumption rate.
Thank you for your help!

There are three variables...
Power
Flow rate
Energy density

If you know any two you can work out the third. Which two do you know?

What is a burner and fuel consumption rate?

A burner is a device used to convert fuel into heat energy. The fuel consumption rate refers to the amount of fuel used by the burner in a given period of time.

What factors affect the burner and fuel consumption rate?

The type of fuel, burner design, combustion efficiency, and load demand are some of the factors that can affect the burner and fuel consumption rate.

How is the burner and fuel consumption rate measured?

The burner and fuel consumption rate can be measured using various instruments such as flow meters, calorimeters, and fuel gauges. These devices measure the amount of fuel consumed by the burner over a specific period of time.

What are the common types of burners and their typical fuel consumption rates?

The most common types of burners include natural gas, propane, diesel, and biofuels. Their fuel consumption rates vary depending on their efficiency and the type of fuel used. For example, a natural gas burner can consume around 7 cubic feet of gas per hour, while a diesel burner can consume around 0.4 gallons of diesel per hour.

How can the burner and fuel consumption rate be optimized?

The burner and fuel consumption rate can be optimized by regularly maintaining the burner and ensuring its proper functioning. Additionally, choosing a burner with high combustion efficiency and using high-quality fuel can also help reduce fuel consumption rate.