By choosing a suitable value of x, sum the series

In summary: Compare the factors in each denominator to 2 times the numerator ! Yes, that's correct! :) Let N denotes the numerator, and D denotes the denominator, then D=(2N-1)(2N+1). Is this right? So for the nth term, it would be something like (-1)n+1\frac{2n-1}{(4n-3)(4n-1)}
bubokribuck
The question:
10535uf.jpg
Here's my thought so far:
162a9e9.jpg
This is pretty much what I have come up with. However, I don't know how to find a general solution for the sum of the series. Can someone help please. (the decimal part is where I'm stuck the most)

Physics news on Phys.org
bubokribuck said:
The question:
10535uf.jpg

[itex]\displaystyle\frac{1}{1\cdot3}-\frac{3}{5\cdot7}+\frac{5}{9\cdot11}-\frac{7}{13\cdot15}+\dots[/itex]

What do we see?

The signs of the terms alternate.

Each successive numerator is the next odd natural number. If n is the index and starts at 0, then each numerator is (2n-1).

How are the two factors in each denominator related to each numerator ? (Consider what 2 times the numerator is for each.)

My guess is that those are not decimal points - they are multiplication dots.

Presumably you have noticed the alternating signs on the terms.

There is a simple relationship between the numerator and the two terms in the denominator in each term which will probably help.

SammyS said:
[itex]\displaystyle\frac{1}{1\cdot3}-\frac{3}{5\cdot7}+\frac{5}{9\cdot11}-\frac{7}{13\cdot15}+\dots[/itex]

What do we see?

The signs of the terms alternate.

Each successive numerator is the next odd natural number. If n is the index and starts at 0, then each numerator is (2n-1).

How are the two factors in each denominator related to each numerator ? (Consider what 2 times the numerator is for each.)

Um... to be honest, I can't see how each denominator relates to each numerator, doesn't seem like there's a sequence. :confused:

Joffan said:
My guess is that those are not decimal points - they are multiplication dots.

Presumably you have noticed the alternating signs on the terms.

There is a simple relationship between the numerator and the two terms in the denominator in each term which will probably help.

Yes I have noticed the alternating signs, but couldn't find any relationship between the numerator and the denominator though :(

Well, calculate out the first ten terms, then come back and post them all.

[itex]+\frac{1}{1\times3}[/itex]

[itex]-\frac{3}{5\times7}[/itex]

[itex]+\frac{5}{9\times11}[/itex]

[itex]-\frac{7}{13\times15}[/itex]

[itex]\ldots[/itex]

You might also put in the known values for a, b and c (1,1,3) in your formula for [itex]n_{m}[/itex] and simplify.

bubokribuck said:
Um... to be honest, I can't see how each denominator relates to each numerator, doesn't seem like there's a sequence. :confused:

Compare the factors in each denominator to 2 times the numerator !

SammyS said:

Just a small typo--I'm guess you meant the numerator is 2n+1.

bubokribuck: What is the first part of this problem (that you've cut off from the image you posted)? The statement of the problem ("By choosing a suitable value of x...") indicates that in previous parts of this problem you've found a series representation for some function, which you are supposed to use to solve this part.

spamiam said:

bubokribuck: What is the first part of this problem (that you've cut off from the image you posted)? The statement of the problem ("By choosing a suitable value of x...") indicates that in previous parts of this problem you've found a series representation for some function, which you are supposed to use to solve this part.

Hi spamiam, here's the full question, but I don't like it has anything to do with the previous parts though.

4ihjxd.jpg

Joffan said:
Well, calculate out the first ten terms, then come back and post them all.

[itex]+\frac{1}{1\times3}[/itex]

[itex]-\frac{3}{5\times7}[/itex]

[itex]+\frac{5}{9\times11}[/itex]

[itex]-\frac{7}{13\times15}[/itex]

[itex]\ldots[/itex]

Hi Joffan, here it is.

bf2o9c.jpg

spamiam said:

If the first term is n=1, then the numerator of the first term would be 2n-1 right? (as 2(1)-1=1)

SammyS said:
Compare the factors in each denominator to 2 times the numerator !

Ah, I think I am getting it now!

Let N denotes the numerator, and D denotes the denominator, then D=(2N-1)(2N+1). Is this right? So for the nth term, it would be something like (-1)n+1[itex]\frac{2n-1}{(4n-3)(4n-1)}[/itex]

Last edited:
bubokribuck said:
Hi spamiam, here's the full question, but I don't like it has anything to do with the previous parts though.

4ihjxd.jpg

It definitely has to do with the previous part! What could you be choosing x for if not to plug into the Fourier series you found in an earlier part? So what did you get for the first 2 parts? In particular, what did you get for the Fourier series of the function?

You formula for the general term of the series looks correct.

spamiam said:

If the index, n, starts at zero, (like I said), then, yes, that should be (2n+1).

spamiam said:
It definitely has to do with the previous part! What could you be choosing x for if not to plug into the Fourier series you found in an earlier part? So what did you get for the first 2 parts? In particular, what did you get for the Fourier series of the function?

You formula for the general term of the series looks correct.
Hi spamiam, here's what I've got for the Fourier series:
1p8dix.jpg

And here's the sigma equation I've come up with for the last part of the question.
s30ltd.jpg

bubokribuck said:
Hi spamiam, here's what I've got for the Fourier series:
1p8dix.jpg

And here's the sigma equation I've come up with for the last part of the question.
s30ltd.jpg

Hm, that's not what I get for the Fourier series. Could you show your calculations? Also, your series has a couple of oddities. For one thing, when n=1, you have terms of the form 1/0. Hopefully this doesn't pose a problem since these terms should cancel out. Which brings me to the second observation--you can simplify your sum since terms cancel out when n is odd.

spamiam said:
Hm, that's not what I get for the Fourier series. Could you show your calculations? Also, your series has a couple of oddities. For one thing, when n=1, you have terms of the form 1/0. Hopefully this doesn't pose a problem since these terms should cancel out. Which brings me to the second observation--you can simplify your sum since terms cancel out when n is odd.

Hi, the calculations are quite long, so I've attached a document. :)

Attachments

• Find the Fourier series of f.zip
    59.4 KB · Views: 171
bubokribuck said:
Hi, the calculations are quite long, so I've attached a document. :)

Hey bubokribuck,

I (and I'm guessing this is the case with most other members from the 0 views your attachment has gotten) am wary of downloading zip files as a general rule. Could you upload it in another format like .doc, .pdf, or .jpg?

spamiam said:
Hey bubokribuck,

I (and I'm guessing this is the case with most other members from the 0 views your attachment has gotten) am wary of downloading zip files as a general rule. Could you upload it in another format like .doc, .pdf, or .jpg?

Hi, the doc exceeds the upload size limit, therefore I can only upload png. Thanks :)

Attachments

• Find the Fourier series of f-3.jpg
    Find the Fourier series of f-3.jpg
    1.9 KB · Views: 393
  • Find the Fourier series of f-2.jpg
    Find the Fourier series of f-2.jpg
    16.6 KB · Views: 449
  • Find the Fourier series of f-1.jpg
    Find the Fourier series of f-1.jpg
    12.4 KB · Views: 448
bubokribuck said:
Hi, the doc exceeds the upload size limit, therefore I can only upload png. Thanks :)

Much better. I think your work is correct. I solved the integral differently, using to applications of integration by parts. As I said before, you really need to simplify your answer. I think you have a correct expression, but you need to combine your terms and put them over a common denominator.

The earlier parts of the problem are supposed to help later on! They can really save you a lot of work. For instance, I knew by inspection that all the [itex] a_n [/itex] were 0 just by observing that f is an odd function. Similarly, you can simplify the calculation of the [itex] b_n [/itex] by noting that the integrand is even.

So try simplifying your answer. Look for cancellation in terms of the form [itex] (-1)^k + 1 [/itex], too. I think this will make the choice for x a lot easier.

spamiam said:
Much better. I think your work is correct. I solved the integral differently, using to applications of integration by parts. As I said before, you really need to simplify your answer. I think you have a correct expression, but you need to combine your terms and put them over a common denominator.

The earlier parts of the problem are supposed to help later on! They can really save you a lot of work. For instance, I knew by inspection that all the [itex] a_n [/itex] were 0 just by observing that f is an odd function. Similarly, you can simplify the calculation of the [itex] b_n [/itex] by noting that the integrand is even.

So try simplifying your answer. Look for cancellation in terms of the form [itex] (-1)^k + 1 [/itex], too. I think this will make the choice for x a lot easier.

Hi spamiam, I don't seem to be able to cancel out the terms, is there something I've done wrong?

Attachments

• bn.png
    bn.png
    9 KB · Views: 478
bubokribuck said:
Hi spamiam, I don't seem to be able to cancel out the terms, is there something I've done wrong?

Looks good! The only tiny mistake I see is that you've forgotten the factor of [itex] 1/\pi[/itex] during the course of your calculation. One other thing you might want to do is pull out a factor of -1 from [itex] (-1)^{n+1} - 1 [/itex].

Now write out the series for f again using your simplified version of the bn. This is where the cancellation comes into play. What is the value of bn if n is odd? How does this eliminate terms from the sum?

spamiam said:
Looks good! The only tiny mistake I see is that you've forgotten the factor of [itex] 1/\pi[/itex] during the course of your calculation. One other thing you might want to do is pull out a factor of -1 from [itex] (-1)^{n+1} - 1 [/itex].

Hum... I'm not quite sure how to do that, the furthest I can go is:

[itex] (-1)^{n+1} - 1 [/itex]

= [itex] (-1)^n(-1)^1 - 1 [/itex]

= [itex] -(-1)^n - 1 [/itex]

But the problem is when n=1, the denominator is still equal to zero (which is obviously wrong).

bubokribuck said:
Hum... I'm not quite sure how to do that, the furthest I can go is:

[itex] (-1)^{n+1} - 1 [/itex]

= [itex] (-1)^n(-1)^1 - 1 [/itex]

= [itex] -(-1)^n - 1 [/itex]
It doesn't really matter, but it's just [itex] (-1)^{n+1} - 1 = (-1)(-1)^n + (-1)1 = -((-1)^n +1) [/itex]. You can stick that negative in the denominator if you like.
But the problem is when n=1, the denominator is still equal to zero (which is obviously wrong).
Yes, this is somewhat strange, but I think it's okay, because if n=1, then the numerator is zero, too.

So, as I said before, write out the Fourier series again and look for cancellation when n is odd or even.

What does it mean to "choose a suitable value of x" in summing a series?

Choosing a suitable value of x means selecting a numerical value for the variable x that allows the series to be summed accurately and efficiently. This value may depend on the specific series being summed and the desired level of precision.

How does choosing a suitable value of x impact the accuracy of the series sum?

The value of x chosen can greatly impact the accuracy of the series sum. If x is chosen poorly, the sum may be inaccurate or may take a significantly larger number of terms to converge to the actual value. On the other hand, choosing a suitable value of x can greatly improve the accuracy and efficiency of the series sum.

What factors should be considered when choosing a suitable value of x?

Several factors should be considered when choosing a suitable value of x, including the specific series being summed, the desired level of precision, and any known patterns or relationships within the series. It may also be helpful to test different values of x and compare the resulting sums to determine the most suitable value.

Is there a specific method for choosing a suitable value of x in summing a series?

There is no one-size-fits-all method for choosing a suitable value of x in summing a series. However, there are various techniques and strategies, such as trial and error or using known relationships within the series, that can help determine the best value of x for a given series.

Why is it important to choose a suitable value of x when summing a series?

Choosing a suitable value of x is important because it directly impacts the accuracy and efficiency of the series sum. A poorly chosen value of x can lead to inaccurate sums or lengthy calculations, while a suitable value can improve the accuracy and speed of the summing process.