1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

By choosing a suitable value of x, sum the series

1. Dec 9, 2011 #1
    The question:
    10535uf.jpg

Here's my thought so far:
    162a9e9.jpg

This is pretty much what I have come up with. However, I don't know how to find a general solution for the sum of the series. Can someone help please. (the decimal part is where I'm stuck the most)

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 9, 2011 #2

SammyS

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

[itex]\displaystyle\frac{1}{1\cdot3}-\frac{3}{5\cdot7}+\frac{5}{9\cdot11}-\frac{7}{13\cdot15}+\dots[/itex]

What do we see?

The signs of the terms alternate.

Each successive numerator is the next odd natural number. If n is the index and starts at 0, then each numerator is (2n-1).

How are the two factors in each denominator related to each numerator ? (Consider what 2 times the numerator is for each.)

4. Dec 9, 2011 #3
    My guess is that those are not decimal points - they are multiplication dots.

Presumably you have noticed the alternating signs on the terms.

There is a simple relationship between the numerator and the two terms in the denominator in each term which will probably help.

5. Dec 9, 2011 #4
    Um... to be honest, I can't see how each denominator relates to each numerator, doesn't seem like there's a sequence. :confused:

6. Dec 9, 2011 #5
    Yes I have noticed the alternating signs, but couldn't find any relationship between the numerator and the denominator though :(

7. Dec 9, 2011 #6
    Well, calculate out the first ten terms, then come back and post them all.

[itex]+\frac{1}{1\times3}[/itex]

[itex]-\frac{3}{5\times7}[/itex]

[itex]+\frac{5}{9\times11}[/itex]

[itex]-\frac{7}{13\times15}[/itex]

[itex]\ldots[/itex]

8. Dec 9, 2011 #7
    You might also put in the known values for a, b and c (1,1,3) in your formula for [itex]n_{m}[/itex] and simplify.

9. Dec 9, 2011 #8

SammyS

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Compare the factors in each denominator to 2 times the numerator !!

10. Dec 10, 2011 #9
    Just a small typo--I'm guess you meant the numerator is 2n+1.

bubokribuck: What is the first part of this problem (that you've cut off from the image you posted)? The statement of the problem ("By choosing a suitable value of x...") indicates that in previous parts of this problem you've found a series representation for some function, which you are supposed to use to solve this part.

11. Dec 10, 2011 #10
    Hi spamiam, here's the full question, but I don't like it has anything to do with the previous parts though.

4ihjxd.jpg

12. Dec 10, 2011 #11
    Hi Joffan, here it is.

bf2o9c.jpg

13. Dec 10, 2011 #12
    If the first term is n=1, then the numerator of the first term would be 2n-1 right? (as 2(1)-1=1)

14. Dec 10, 2011 #13
    Ah, I think I am getting it now!

Let N denotes the numerator, and D denotes the denominator, then D=(2N-1)(2N+1). Is this right? So for the nth term, it would be something like (-1)n+1[itex]\frac{2n-1}{(4n-3)(4n-1)}[/itex]

Last edited: Dec 10, 2011
  15. Dec 10, 2011 #14
    It definitely has to do with the previous part! What could you be choosing x for if not to plug into the Fourier series you found in an earlier part? So what did you get for the first 2 parts? In particular, what did you get for the Fourier series of the function?

You formula for the general term of the series looks correct.

16. Dec 10, 2011 #15

SammyS

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

If the index, n, starts at zero, (like I said), then, yes, that should be (2n+1).

17. Dec 10, 2011 #16
    Hi spamiam, here's what I've got for the Fourier series:
    1p8dix.jpg

And here's the sigma equation I've come up with for the last part of the question.
    s30ltd.jpg

18. Dec 10, 2011 #17
    Hm, that's not what I get for the Fourier series. Could you show your calculations? Also, your series has a couple of oddities. For one thing, when n=1, you have terms of the form 1/0. Hopefully this doesn't pose a problem since these terms should cancel out. Which brings me to the second observation--you can simplify your sum since terms cancel out when n is odd.

19. Dec 10, 2011 #18
    Hi, the calculations are quite long, so I've attached a document. :)

Attached Files:

20. Dec 11, 2011 #19
    Hey bubokribuck,

I (and I'm guessing this is the case with most other members from the 0 views your attachment has gotten) am wary of downloading zip files as a general rule. Could you upload it in another format like .doc, .pdf, or .jpg?

21. Dec 11, 2011 #20
    Hi, the doc exceeds the upload size limit, therefore I can only upload png. Thanks :)

Attached Files:

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook