Values of x for which a geometric series converges

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
1 reply · 5K views
ellaingeborg
Messages
4
Reaction score
0
Need help with a homework question!
The question gives: The first three terms of a geometric sequence are sin(x), sin(2x) and 4sin(x)cos^2(x) for -π/2 < x < π/2.
First I had to find the common ratio which is 2cos(x)
Then the question asks to find the values of x for which the geometric series sinx + sin2x + ... converges.
I am not sure how to go about this question.
I tried using
S∞= u/(1-r) where r is the common ratio, u is the first term of the sequence and S∞ the sum of the series.
this sum would equal
sinx/(1-2cosx)

Please help! My finals are coming up and I need to know this thank you :)
 
Physics news on Phys.org
ellaingeborg said:
Need help with a homework question!
The question gives: The first three terms of a geometric sequence are sin(x), sin(2x) and 4sin(x)cos^2(x) for -π/2 < x < π/2.
First I had to find the common ratio which is 2cos(x)
Then the question asks to find the values of x for which the geometric series sinx + sin2x + ... converges.
I am not sure how to go about this question.
I tried using
S∞= u/(1-r) where r is the common ratio, u is the first term of the sequence and S∞ the sum of the series.
this sum would equal
sinx/(1-2cosx)

Please help! My finals are coming up and I need to know this thank you :)
A geometric series converges if |r| < 1. What does this mean in relation to your geometric series?

In the future, please do not delete the three parts of the homework template. It is required for homework questions.