Finding sum of infinite series

In summary: Fractions aren't too complicated. Here are a couple of others that I frequently use:Summations:\sum_{n = 1}^{\infty} \frac 1 {n^2}In rendered form: ##\sum_{n = 1}^{\infty} \frac 1 {n^2}##Integrals:\int_{t = 0}^{10} t^2 + 3t~dt = \left.\frac{t^3}{3} + \frac{3t^2}{2}\right|_0^{10}In rendered form: ##\int_{t = 0}^{10} t^2 + 3t~
Ryaners
[Please excuse the screengrabs of the fomulae - I'll get around to learning TeX someday!]

1. Homework Statement

Find the sum of this series (answer included - not the one I'm getting)
3lz8gX9.png

The Attempt at a Solution

So I'm trying to sum this series as a telescoping sum. I decomposed the fraction and the partial sum collapses down to this:
PkZ9pxR.png

Then when I take the limit, the second term vanishes, leaving just the first term as the final value, i.e.:
t3SRR8e.png

Needless to say 48/23 ≠ 3/23 :redface:
I can't see what I'm doing wrong - I've triple-checked everything & must be misunderstanding something fundamentally speaking. The partial fraction decomposition is (to the best of my / Wolfram A's knowledge) correct. Can anyone point out my mistake(s)?

Physics news on Phys.org
It's hidden in the part you didn't show us. Can you explain your decomposition of ##16x^2+40x+21## into two fractions?

fresh_42 said:
It's hidden in the part you didn't show us. Can you explain your decomposition of ##16x^2+40x+21## into two fractions?

Sure thing. I used the quadratic formula to find the roots of the polynomial in the denominator, & then decomposed the fraction - here's the process in detail:
tQhfcLj.png

Yes, ##16x^2+40x+21=(4x+7)(4x+3)## and this gives the new denominators. But from the first to the second line is an unseen error, because the first equality in the second line is wrong by a factor ##16##.

Likes Ryaners
You have a mistake right off the bat.
$$\frac{12}{16x^2 + 40x + 21} \ne \frac{12}{(x + 3/4)(x + 7/4)}$$
You have lost two factors of 4 from the denominators on the right.

Last edited:
Likes Ryaners
Ok, I can see that now - so was my mistake to use the quadratic formula the same way I'd use it if the polynomial = 0, where I was kind of unconsciously dividing through by the 4 without realising? In other words, I should have:

QWCYjjH.png

Does that even make sense? :bugeye:

Ryaners said:
Ok, I can see that now - so was my mistake to use the quadratic formula the same way I'd use it if the polynomial = 0, where I was kind of unconsciously dividing through by the 4 without realising? In other words, I should have:

QWCYjjH.png

Does that even make sense? :bugeye:
No, this part of your calculation has been correct. You can work either with ##x+\frac{3}{4}\, , \,x+\frac{7}{4}## or with ##4x+3\, , \,4x+7##.
However, this has an effect to your nominators. Look again at the inequality @Mark44 pointed to in post #5 - make it an equality (with either denominators).

Ryaners said:
I'll get around to learning TeX someday!
We have a tutorial here: https://www.physicsforums.com/help/latexhelp/
You can be up an running in a short time. To see what I or fresh_42 did, right-click on any of the expressions we wrote, and choose "Show Math As.. " and "TeX Commands". This will show the LaTeX script we wrote.

In post #5 I wrote this:
##\frac{12}{16x^2 + 40x + 21} \ne \frac{12}{(x + 3/4)(x + 7/4)}##

The TeX script looks like this:
\frac{12}{16x^2 + 40x + 21} \ne \frac{12}{(x + 3/4)(x + 7/4)}

fresh_42 said:
No, this part of your calculation has been correct. You can work either with ##x+\frac{3}{4}\, , \,x+\frac{7}{4}## or with ##4x+3\, , \,4x+7##.
However, this has an effect to your nominators. Look again at the inequality @Mark44 pointed to in post #5 - make it an equality (with either denominators).
Right - so I should recognise once I find the roots that I might need to scale them by a third (constant) factor so I'm not changing the value of the expression? Just trying to get to the bottom of what mental shortcut I'm taking that I shouldn't be.

I had assumed that because the quadratic formula incorporated all the coefficients 'as they are' (i.e. a=16, b=40, c=21 in this case), the roots it 'spits out' would have included all that info. 'Course when I look at it I can see that the two expressions aren't equal (as pointed out by Mark44). I'm unclear on why that's the case, though. How can I make sure when I'm performing this kind of operation in future that I haven't magically eliminated a constant factor, like I did here?

Thanks for your help so far by the way :)

Mark44 said:
We have a tutorial here: https://www.physicsforums.com/help/latexhelp/
You can be up an running in a short time. To see what I or fresh_42 did, right-click on any of the expressions we wrote, and choose "Show Math As.. " and "TeX Commands". This will show the LaTeX script we wrote.

In post #5 I wrote this:
##\frac{12}{16x^2 + 40x + 21} \ne \frac{12}{(x + 3/4)(x + 7/4)}##

The TeX script looks like this:
\frac{12}{16x^2 + 40x + 21} \ne \frac{12}{(x + 3/4)(x + 7/4)}

Fantastic, thank you! That looks much less difficult than I expected. :)

Fractions aren't too complicated. Here are a couple of others that I frequently use:

Summations:
\sum_{n = 1}^{\infty} \frac 1 {n^2}
In rendered form: ##\sum_{n = 1}^{\infty} \frac 1 {n^2}##

Integrals:
\int_{t = 0}^{10} t^2 + 3t~dt = \left.\frac{t^3}{3} + \frac{3t^2}{2}\right|_0^{10}
In rendered form: ##\int_{t = 0}^{10} t^2 + 3t~dt = \left.\frac{t^3}{3} + \frac{3t^2}{2}\right|_0^{10}##

Likes Ryaners
Ryaners said:
Right - so I should recognise once I find the roots that I might need to scale them by a third (constant) factor so I'm not changing the value of the expression? Just trying to get to the bottom of what mental shortcut I'm taking that I shouldn't be.
This is a matter of taste. Personally I like to work with equations ##1\cdot x^2 + px +q = 0## because I don't have to bother the scaling then.
I also use ##x_{1,2} = -\frac{p}{2} \pm \sqrt{(-\frac{p}{2})^2-q}## because I learned it this way, although mostly ##x_{1,2} = -\frac{1}{2}(p \pm \sqrt{p^2-4q})## is used. Once you have the decomposition, say ##(x+\frac{3}{4})\cdot (x+\frac{7}{4})##, simply make sure that you decomposed ##16x^2+40x+21=16(x^2+\frac{5}{2}+\frac{21}{16})= 16 \cdot (x+\frac{3}{4})\cdot (x+\frac{7}{4})## and not ##16x^2+40x+21=(4x+3)\cdot (4x+7)##. Until then and after this everything has been o.k. with your calculation. Maybe it's easiest to take the factor ##\frac{12}{16}## completely in front of all the rest and multiply the result at last again with it. This way the algorithmic procedure doesn't have to consider the scaling factor. But as I said above: it's a matter of taste. Find a way that minimizes potential mistakes for you.

What do you get if you reduce ##\frac{3}{4x+3}-\frac{3}{4x+7}## to a common denominator?

fresh_42 said:
This is a matter of taste. Personally I like to work with equations ##1\cdot x^2 + px +q = 0## because I don't have to bother the scaling then.
I also use ##x_{1,2} = -\frac{p}{2} \pm \sqrt{(-\frac{p}{2})^2-q}## because I learned it this way, although mostly ##x_{1,2} = -\frac{1}{2}(p \pm \sqrt{p^2-4q})## is used. Once you have the decomposition, say ##(x+\frac{3}{4})\cdot (x+\frac{7}{4})##, simply make sure that you decomposed ##16x^2+40x+21=16(x^2+\frac{5}{2}+\frac{21}{16})= 16 \cdot (x+\frac{3}{4})\cdot (x+\frac{7}{4})## and not ##16x^2+40x+21=(4x+3)\cdot (4x+7)##. Until then and after this everything has been o.k. with your calculation. Maybe it's easiest to take the factor ##\frac{12}{16}## completely in front of all the rest and multiply the result at last again with it. This way the algorithmic procedure doesn't have to consider the scaling factor. But as I said above: it's a matter of taste. Find a way that minimizes potential mistakes for you.

Yes! Ok! This is making sense now. So the safest thing to do is to put the quadratic in a form where the coefficient of the x2 term is 1 before applying the quadratic formula, so you don't lose track of any constant factors while finding the roots. That's exactly the insight I was looking for, thanks for your help :)

Chestermiller said:
What do you get if you reduce ##\frac{3}{4x+3}-\frac{3}{4x+7}## to a common denominator?
I get it now, thanks for your input :)

1. What is an infinite series?

An infinite series is a sum of an infinite number of terms. It is represented by the notation Σan, where a is the term and n is the index of the term.

2. How do you find the sum of an infinite series?

The sum of an infinite series can be found using various methods such as geometric series, telescoping series, and power series. These methods involve finding the pattern of the series and using mathematical formulas to calculate the sum.

3. Can an infinite series have a finite sum?

Yes, some infinite series can have a finite sum. This is possible if the series has a convergent limit, meaning that as the number of terms increases, the sum approaches a specific value. However, not all infinite series have a finite sum.

4. What is the difference between a convergent and a divergent infinite series?

A convergent infinite series has a finite sum, while a divergent infinite series does not have a finite sum. In other words, the terms of a convergent series approach a specific value, while the terms of a divergent series either approach infinity or do not have a specific pattern.

5. How is finding the sum of an infinite series useful in real-world applications?

Finding the sum of an infinite series is useful in many real-world applications, including finance, physics, and engineering. For example, in finance, infinite series are used to calculate interest rates and compound interest. In physics, they are used to model natural phenomena, such as the motion of objects. In engineering, they are used to analyze and design complex systems.