Bypassing Hit F1 to continue on reboot?

• Thread starter Doc Al
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation discusses how to bypass or automatically time out the "Hit F1 to continue" message that appears during reboot on a Proliant ML570 server. It is suggested that there may be a BIOS setting or dead CMOS battery causing the message to appear.
Doc Al
Mentor
bypassing "Hit F1 to continue" on reboot?

I have a Proliant ML570 server in my lab. When it gets rebooted, it always requires manual intervention to get beyond the "Hit F1 to continue..." message. I'd like to bypass that step, or at least have it time out and continue rebooting after a few seconds. Any ideas?

Computer science news on Phys.org
Is there a bios setting something like "halt on all errors"
It could be a specific server thing since you might want not want a server to restart in a unknown state in the middle of the night, especially if a backup server has already taken over.

Thanks, I'll look into that.

I don't think it's an error. I think that message pops up as part of the normal boot sequence. In this case, I would like it to time out and just boot up if there's a restart in the middle of the night. This came to my attention when we recently upgraded that server from Windows 2000 to Windows 2003.

The only times I have seen this message it has been a bad BIOS setting or a dead CMOS battery.
Try going into BIOS setup and hitting save changes exit.
If that doesn't fix it replace the battery.

1. What does "Bypassing Hit F1 to continue on reboot" mean?

"Bypassing Hit F1 to continue on reboot" is a message that appears on some computers when they are turned on or rebooted. It means that the computer is encountering an issue that requires user input, specifically pressing the F1 key, to continue the boot process.

2. Why do I need to press F1 to continue on reboot?

Pressing F1 to continue on reboot is often required when there is a hardware or software issue that the computer cannot automatically resolve. This could be due to a hardware component not being detected, incorrect settings, or a software error.

3. Can I disable the "Bypassing Hit F1 to continue on reboot" message?

In some cases, it is possible to disable this message by changing the settings in the BIOS (Basic Input Output System) of your computer. However, it is not recommended to do so as the message serves as a warning that there may be an underlying issue that needs to be addressed.

4. How do I fix the issue that is causing the "Bypassing Hit F1 to continue on reboot" message?

The best way to fix the issue is to follow the instructions provided on the screen after pressing F1. This will usually involve checking hardware connections, updating drivers, or troubleshooting software. If the issue persists, it may be necessary to seek assistance from a professional technician.

5. Is the "Bypassing Hit F1 to continue on reboot" message a cause for concern?

While it may be annoying to have to press F1 every time the computer is turned on or rebooted, the message itself is not a cause for concern. However, if the message appears frequently or is accompanied by other errors, it may indicate a more serious issue that needs to be addressed.