Qs: Auto Reboot, Norton Virus, Login

• Thread starter tony873004
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Auto Virus
In summary, the conversation discussed three computer questions about auto reboot, getting rid of Norton and MacAfee viruses, and bypassing user selection during reboot. The suggested solutions were to turn off auto reboot in Windows Update, uninstall the antivirus software and be cautious with emails, and use the auto login feature in User Accounts.
tony873004
Science Advisor
Gold Member
Hi. I have 3 computer questions. Hopefully someone will know some or all of them.

Auto Reboot
From time to time, I wake up in the morning to a freshly-rebooted computer. A message tells me that Windows was updated and it required a reboot. Why can't it just ask me to reboot my own computer? I lose everything I was working on. It's so rude of them to just assume that this is a good time for a reboot.

How do I get rid of the Norton and MacAfee viruses. I don't care to pay for their products, and its annoying right in the middle of a powerpoint presentation, a window pops up telling me my computer is not protected. There is no "don't show me this message again" box. These two programs are worse than any virus I've ever caught.

When I re-boot my computer, it pauses in the middle of the process so I can select a user. But if there's only one user on the computer, this seems meaningless. Why does it have to ask a question to which there is only 1 answer. I've heard there's a way to make it bypass this step so rebooting my computer is only a 1 step process for me.

Computer science news on Phys.org
1) I'm pretty sure if you go to Control Panel->Windows Update there should be a button that let's you turn of auto reboot on update

2) Uninstall the antivirus software you have, use Firefox and be careful what emails you open.

3) I think in Control Panel -> User Accounts there is a button to do auto login.

Hello,

Thank you for reaching out with your computer questions. I understand how frustrating it can be to have your computer automatically reboot without warning and losing your work. This is a common occurrence with Windows updates, as they often require a system reboot to fully install. Unfortunately, there is no way to prevent this from happening as the updates are necessary for the security and functionality of your computer. However, you can schedule updates to happen at a more convenient time for you by going into your computer's settings. You can also enable the "Active Hours" feature which will prevent updates from happening during a specific time period when you are most likely to be using your computer.

In regards to Norton and McAfee, these are not viruses but rather antivirus software. If you do not wish to pay for their products, you can uninstall them from your computer. However, it is important to have some form of antivirus protection on your computer to protect against actual viruses. There are free antivirus programs available that you can download and use instead.

Lastly, regarding the login process, it is a security feature to have a user select their account when rebooting the computer. This prevents unauthorized access to your computer. However, if you are the only user on the computer, you can set your account to automatically log in without having to select it each time. This can be done in your computer's settings under the "Sign-in options" menu.

I hope this helps answer your questions. If you have any further concerns, please don't hesitate to ask. Thank you.

1. What does it mean when my computer has an "auto reboot" error?

An "auto reboot" error on your computer means that it has encountered a critical error and is automatically restarting to prevent further damage. This can be caused by a variety of factors, such as hardware failures, corrupt system files, or software conflicts. It is important to troubleshoot the issue to prevent it from happening again.

2. How can I fix the Norton antivirus on my computer?

If you are experiencing issues with your Norton antivirus, the first step is to make sure it is up to date. Check for any available updates and install them. If the issue persists, try running a full system scan to detect and remove any potential threats. You can also try reinstalling the Norton software or contacting their customer support for further assistance.

3. Why am I unable to login to my computer?

There could be several reasons why you are unable to login to your computer. First, double-check that you are using the correct username and password. If you have forgotten your password, you can try resetting it through the "Forgot Password" option. If that does not work, there may be a technical issue with your computer's operating system or hardware, which may require professional assistance.

4. How can I prevent my computer from automatically rebooting?

To prevent your computer from automatically rebooting, you can disable the "Automatic Restart" feature in your system settings. This will allow you to see any error messages or prompts before the computer restarts, giving you a chance to troubleshoot the issue. You can also make sure your computer's operating system and software are up to date to prevent any critical errors.

5. Is it necessary to have antivirus software on my computer?

Yes, it is highly recommended to have antivirus software on your computer to protect it from potential threats and viruses. Without antivirus protection, your computer is vulnerable to malware, which can compromise your personal information and damage your system. Make sure to regularly update and run scans with your chosen antivirus software to ensure the best protection.