Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

C++ vs Python vs Mathematica vs Matlab? Whats the difference

1. Aug 15, 2015 #1
    What are the differences and pros/cons of each?

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 15, 2015 #2

Dale

Staff: Mentor

C++ and python are general purpose programming languages. Matlab is a numerical computing platform. Mathematica is a symbolic computing platform.

The pros and cons depend on the desired use. Generally things are faster to program in python but faster to execute in C++. Matlab and Mathematica have different purposes.

4. Aug 15, 2015 #3

jedishrfu

There's also another kid on the block: Julia with a syntax similar to Matlab but with speeds orders of magnitude faster than Matlab ie near C/C++ speeds. Julia is especially useful for organizations that prototype algorithms in MATLAB and then convert them to C/C++ for production. With Julia, they don't have to spend developer time recoding and optimizing the Matlab code.

Julia Interoperates well with both Python and Fortran which is useful for handling legacy code and it's free.

The one thing Matlab has over Julia is its developer environment and its large base of tutorials, packages and tool kits.

5. Aug 15, 2015 #4

FactChecker

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

It might help if you can narrow it down to an environment. MATLAB/Simulink is dominant in Engineering. It's expensive unless you are a student or work somewhere that already has it. Python is the hot new programming language. It is free. Julia is free. Neither Python nor Julia have the equivalent of Simulink (a diagram-based simulation tool). Where I work, we auto-generate code from Simulink diagrams. I don't know about Mathematica.

6. Aug 15, 2015 #5

jedishrfu

Dave Sanders on youtube has some good tutorials on Julia using the iPython notebook IDE which is really cool especially for presenting your work in an academic session.

7. Aug 22, 2015 #6
    I have zero programming knowledge.

8. Aug 22, 2015 #7

micromass

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor
    2016 Award

Depends on the research.

9. Aug 22, 2015 #8

jedishrfu

Also what about MATLAB or Julia or Python for numerical computing vs Mathematica for symbolic computing?

10. Aug 22, 2015 #9

Dale

As a first programming language I would not recommend C++. If you have easy access to Mathematica then it is a great platform for generic science and math. Otherwise I would probably recommend starting with Python. After either or both of those you might go to C++, particularly if you need a lot of speed.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook