Can I run sections of code independently in Python and C++ like in MATLAB?

In summary, the conversation discusses the differences between interpreted and compiled languages and the ability to rerun a portion of a program. MATLAB and Python are interpreted languages and allow for changes to be made and rerunning of specific sections, while C++ is compiled and requires recompilation for any changes. Jupyter notebooks in Python also allow for the execution of independent code cells.
member 428835
Hi PF!

I typically code in MATLAB. Here, if I run the following program
Code:
%% Section 1
x = 5;
y = 2;
%% Section 2
z = x + y;

everything works. But now let's say I wanted to change line 5 to z = x - y. In MATLAB this is simple: I can simply change line 5 and rerun section 2. Is there a way to do this in Python and C++, or do I have to rerun the entire program?

Thanks for your help!

Physics news on Phys.org
MATLAB and Python are interpreted languages. You can change the code whenever you like. A program reads and executes that code.

C++ is compiled : a program called a compiler takes the source code and produces unreadable machine code that then may be executed by the CPU. Usually in order to change anything you have to recompile it, though there are special programs called debuggers that you can use to stop the program and read data.

Compiled code executes more quickly, but if you are spending most of your computer time in someone else's routines then it may not matter much.

So I would suspect you can easily do what you want to do in Python, but I seldom use it so I don't know how. Can't do it in C++.

Likes member 428835
joshmccraney said:
In MATLAB this is simple: I can simply change line 5 and rerun section 2
Because Matlab is interpreted, as is Python. That means they can be changed at run time.

C++ is compiled so requires recompilation for changes.

EDIT: I see Hornbein beat me to it

Last edited:
Likes member 428835
While you may be able to rerun section 2 in a Matlab program, in other languages interpreted or otherwise you'll need to run the entire program from start to finish.

This is one of the reasons programmers break up code into separate steps (programs) with intermediate files to allow rerunning one section on long runs or to restart when an error occurs like a lost network connection or out of disk space condition.

In truth, I didn't know you could rerun a portion of a Matlab program. I've always rerun from the beginning.

Likes member 428835
There is also a difference between running a script from the command line (which runs the entire thing each time) as opposed to using an interactive session (where you can step through line by line and change things or repeat things as you go).

Likes pbuk and member 428835
In data science, Python is often used via Jupyter notebooks. These consist of cells of code which can be executed independently. So yes, what you are asking is not only possible but also common.

Jupyter works with multiple languages. Actually, its name is kind of a wordplay on them: Julia, Python and R.

As the others have written, C++ is a completely different beast. If Python programmers need the speed provided by C or C++, they mostly use wrapper libraries which are called like normal Python code but use C/C++ under the hood.

Likes The Bill and member 428835

1. Can I run sections of code independently in Python and C++ like in MATLAB?

Yes, both Python and C++ have the ability to run sections of code independently, similar to MATLAB's cell mode. In Python, this can be achieved using the Jupyter Notebook or by using the #%% syntax. In C++, you can use the #pragma region and #pragma endregion directives to define sections of code.

2. How do I run a specific section of code in Python or C++?

In Python, you can run a specific section of code by using the #%% syntax. This will create a cell that can be executed independently. In C++, you can use the #pragma region and #pragma endregion directives to define the start and end of a section of code that can be run independently.

3. Can I run sections of code in a specific order in Python or C++?

Yes, you can run sections of code in a specific order in both Python and C++. In Python, you can use the #%% syntax to define the order of execution for cells. In C++, you can use the #pragma region and #pragma endregion directives to define the order in which sections of code should be executed.

4. Is it possible to run a section of code multiple times in Python or C++?

Yes, it is possible to run a section of code multiple times in both Python and C++. In Python, you can simply execute the cell multiple times. In C++, you can use a loop or define the section of code as a function and call it multiple times.

5. Can I run sections of code independently in Python and C++ without affecting the rest of the code?

Yes, you can run sections of code independently in both Python and C++ without affecting the rest of the code. In Python, the code in each cell is isolated and will not affect the rest of the code. In C++, the #pragma region and #pragma endregion directives allow you to define code sections that can be executed independently without affecting the rest of the code.