Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Cable and Pulley Routing help needed for Fitness Machine

1. May 7, 2009 #1
    Hello,

I am trying to put together a fitness machine that used up to fifteen pulleys. Is there anybody here that is an expert in this feild or knows someone who is? I am willing to pay a reasonable consulting fee if they can help solve my problem.

Thank you,

Edmond

2. jcsd
  3. May 7, 2009 #2
    What kind of expert are you looking for???

If this is checking the theory behind the cable and pulleys, it should possible to help.

Cheers

4. May 7, 2009 #3
    Well I am ok with the concepts but not good at the exact cause and effect of cable and pulley mechanical advantage. I have a problem where one area of this fitness device needs half the travel of another area. Ideally the area with the desired half travel would have a mechanical advantage so that its for example 1/2 pound would be equal in resistance to 1 pound at the end of the front cable where the weight plates are.

So "B" needs to go half the distance as "A"

1/2 a pound at X needs to equal 1 pound at Y

The pulleys you see can be arranged in any way or more pulleys/cables added. Please help!

Thanks!

Attached Files:

5. May 18, 2009 #4
    Hi there,

From your diagram, I can't see if the cables in A are attached directly to the weight stack, or if you want to hook them to a pulley. The result will be different in the two cases scenarios.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook