Caclulus with parametric curves

If "y=5/2" is one bound, what is the other?In summary, the conversation discusses the use of parametric equations to find the area of an ellipse. It is mentioned that by symmetry, the area of the ellipse is four times the area of the part in the first quadrant. There is also confusion about the limits of integration and the value of t in the equation x=(t-1)/t and y=(t+1)/t bounded by y=5/2. However, it is unclear what exactly the problem is and the meaning of certain terms and equations.
nameVoid
Elipse [0,2pi]
x=acosT
y=bsinT\
by symmetry
4I(y,x)
chossing the limits of integration my text is showing
4I(y,x,0,a)
T=0=>x=a
T=pi/2=>x=0
so wouldn't this be 4I(y,x,a,0)
proceeding inthe books case gives pi(ab) while in the later case gives -pi(ab)

Also
x= (t-1)/t y=(t+1)/t bounded by y=5/2
5/2=(t+1)/t => t=2/3
my text is showing t=1/2 or 2

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
nameVoid said:
Elipse [0,2pi]
x=acosT
y=bsinT\
by symmetry
4I(y,x)
It would have helped if had explained what you are talking about! I think you are trying to find the area of an ellipse and are saying that "by symmetry, the area of the ellipse is 4 times the area the part of the ellipse in the first quadrant".

chossing the limits of integration my text is showing
4I(y,x,0,a)
T=0=>x=a
T=pi/2=>x=0
Limits of integration for what integral? Since you are using parametic equations with a single parameter, you appear to be integrating around the circumference of the ellipse. But that won't give "area".

so wouldn't this be 4I(y,x,a,0)
I guessed, above, that "I(y,x)" was the area of the part of the ellipse in the first quadrant but now I have no idea what "I(y,x,a,0)" could mean.

proceeding inthe books case gives pi(ab) while in the later case gives -pi(ab)
The are of an ellipse with semi-axes a and b is \(\displaystyle \pi ab\). Obviously, an area cannot be negative.

Please tell us what the problem really is!

Also
x= (t-1)/t y=(t+1)/t bounded by y=5/2
5/2=(t+1)/t => t=2/3
my text is showing t=1/2 or 2
I have no idea what you mean by "showing t= 1/2 or 2". Nor do I understand what is meant by "bounded by y= 5/2". Those parametric equations describe a curve. A curve has to be bounded at both ends.

1. What is a parametric curve in calculus?

A parametric curve is a mathematical function that describes the movement of a point (usually in two or three dimensions) as it varies over time. Instead of using a single variable to represent the point's position, parametric curves use multiple variables to describe its position at different points in time.

2. How is calculus applied to parametric curves?

In calculus, parametric curves are typically used to study rates of change, such as velocity and acceleration. Calculus can also be used to find the area under a parametric curve, which can be useful in applications such as physics and engineering.

3. What are the advantages of using parametric curves in calculus?

Parametric curves allow for a more flexible and intuitive representation of a point's movement compared to traditional Cartesian coordinates. They also allow for the representation of complex shapes and functions that may be difficult to describe using traditional equations.

4. Can parametric curves be used to solve real-world problems?

Yes, parametric curves are often used in real-world applications such as modeling the movement of objects in physics or predicting the behavior of financial markets. They can also be used in computer graphics to create smooth and realistic animations.

5. What are some common examples of parametric curves?

Some common examples of parametric curves include the cycloid (describing the path of a point on a rolling wheel), the cardioid (describing the shape of a heart), and the helix (describing the shape of a spring). They can also be used to describe the motion of objects in projectile motion and circular motion.