1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Homework Help: Caclulus with parametric curves

1. May 24, 2010 #1
    Elipse [0,2pi]
    by symmetry
    chossing the limits of integration my text is showing
    so wouldnt this be 4I(y,x,a,0)
    proceeding inthe books case gives pi(ab) while in the later case gives -pi(ab)

x= (t-1)/t y=(t+1)/t bounded by y=5/2
    5/2=(t+1)/t => t=2/3
    my text is showing t=1/2 or 2
    Last edited: May 24, 2010
  2. jcsd
  3. May 24, 2010 #2

Science Advisor

It would have helped if had explained what you are talking about! I think you are trying to find the area of an ellipse and are saying that "by symmetry, the area of the ellipse is 4 times the area the part of the ellipse in the first quadrant".

Limits of integration for what integral? Since you are using parametic equations with a single parameter, you appear to be integrating around the circumference of the ellipse. But that won't give "area".

I guessed, above, that "I(y,x)" was the area of the part of the ellipse in the first quadrant but now I have no idea what "I(y,x,a,0)" could mean.

The are of an ellipse with semi-axes a and b is [math]\pi ab[/math]. Obviously, an area cannot be negative.

Please tell us what the problem really is!

I have no idea what you mean by "showing t= 1/2 or 2". Nor do I understand what is meant by "bounded by y= 5/2". Those parametric equations describe a curve. A curve has to be bounded at both ends.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook