1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Caculate the probability using a binomial distribution

1. Jun 3, 2007 #1
    Ok so I have a problem I am not sure of the method I should use. In a recent survey, 60% of the population disagreed with a given statement, 20% agreed and 20% were unsure. Find the probability of having at least 5 person who agree in a mini-survey with 10 people.

I tried to caculate the probability using a binomial distribution with n=10, p=0,2 agree and 1-p = 0,8 who either agree or are unsure, and

P(X) = (n!/ (k!(n-k)!)) (p^x) ((1-p) ^(n-x))

I added p(5), p(6)... p(10) and I got p(total) = 0,0328

Is it right to use a binomial distribution in this case?

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 3, 2007 #2

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Yes, that is the correct distribution to use.

4. Jun 3, 2007 #3

cepheid

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Yes. The number of people agreeing with the statement in n trials is random variable with a binomial probability distribution. This is because each individual event or trial has two possible outcomes (agreement or not agreement, if you choose to group them that way), and as a result is described by a Bernoulli random variable.

5. Jun 4, 2007 #4
    Thank you!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?