1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Calc 1 proof IVT Rolles theorem

1. Oct 24, 2014 #1

462chevelle

Gold Member

1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Use the intermediate value theorem and rolles theorem to prove that the equation has exactly one real solution
    2x-2-cos(x)=0

3. The attempt at a solution
    Let the interval be [a,b] and let f(a)<0 and f(b)>0
    Then by the IVT there must be at least one zero between a and b.
    f'(x)=2+sin(x)
    since f'(x) doesnt = 0 anywhere and its always >0, therefore f(x) is increasing throughout its entire domain. Therefore f(a) cannot = f(b) anywhere.

I feel like im doing a bad job at explaining this, but this is my first proof for class ever, other than geometry in highschool and i was bad at it. Is there anything terribly wrong or that could be improved upon at all?

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 24, 2014
  2. jcsd
  3. Oct 24, 2014 #2

Mark44

Staff: Mentor

No, you can't do this. You need to find numbers a and b for which the two inequalities are true. Just try a few values to see if you can get the function to change sign going from one number to the other.

Last edited: Oct 24, 2014
  4. Oct 24, 2014 #3

462chevelle

Gold Member

My confusion is that there is no points where f(a)=f(b) so i dont really know what to do with rolles theorem. Ill rewrite that part with some numbers.

5. Oct 24, 2014 #4

Mark44

Let me change what I said. Use the IVT first. That will show that there is at least one root.

6. Oct 24, 2014 #5

462chevelle

Gold Member

alright, so if i make the interval [0,2] i get a - then a +. so that would satisfy the IVT. then i use my info that the derivative is always positive so the function is always increasing, therefore only crosses the x axis once. How do i factor in rolles theorem? or would i have to use contradiction or something? Or could i say, that since there is no interval where f(a)=f(b) then if the function is increasing in one point then it must be increasing throughout the entire domain.

7. Oct 24, 2014 #6

Mark44

I think you have to use contradiction. From the IVT, you know that there is a zero (around 1.2, BTW). Call this a.

Now suppose that there is another solution b ≠ a, such that f(b) = 0.
    What does Rolle's say?
    What do you know about f'(x)?

8. Oct 24, 2014 #7

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

You have already said
    So if f(a)= 0 then we cannot have f(b)= 0 for any other b. that is, f(x)= 0 has at most one solution.

As others have said you cannot simply assert
    until you know that there exist values of x where f(x)< 0 and where f(x)> 0.

You are given that f(x)= 2x- 2- cos(x). Further, you know that cos(x) has value only between -1 and 1. Suppose x is some very large, negative, number, say x= -1000000. What can you say about f(x)? Suppose x is some very large, positive, number, say x= 1000000. What can you say about f(x)?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted