Calc I: Limits at Infinity: Solving r Irrational

In summary, the author states that if ##c## is a real number and ##r## is a positive rational number, then the limit of ##\frac{c}{x^r}## as ##x## approaches infinity is equal to 0. However, the statement does not mention what happens if ##r## is irrational. It can be true or false in that case.
PFuser1232
http://tutorial.math.lamar.edu/Classes/CalcI/LimitsAtInfinityI.aspx

According to the author, if ##c## is a real number and ##r## is a positive rational number then:
$$\lim_{x →\infty} \frac{c}{x^r} = 0$$
If ##x^r## is defined for ##x < 0## then:
$$\lim_{x →- \infty} \frac{c}{x^r} = 0$$
I understand why ##r## can't be irrational in case two. ##x^r## would not be defined.
However, I can't see why ##r## can't be irrational in case one.

Physics news on Phys.org
MohammedRady97 said:
However, I can't see why rr can't be irrational in case one.
Well, it can. Rewrite: [itex]\frac{c}{x^{r}}=\frac{c}{e^{r\ln(x)}} [/itex]. Then [itex]\lim_{x\rightarrow \infty} \frac{c}{x^{r}}= \lim_{x\rightarrow \infty} \frac{c}{e^{r\ln(x)}}= \lim_{x\rightarrow \infty} e^{\ln (c)-r\ln(x)} [/itex].

Likes phion
Saying "for r rational" does NOT say it is not also true for r irrational. It may or may not be in that case.

HallsofIvy said:
Saying "for r rational" does NOT say it is not also true for r irrational. It may or may not be in that case.

When is it not true for irrational ##r##?

You still do not understand. I am not saying statement is or is not true for any irrational r. I am simply pointing out that the initial statement "According to the author, if c c is a real number and r r is a positive rational number then:
[itex]\lim_{x\to\infty} \frac{c}{x^r}= 0[/itex] does NOT say anything about what happens if r is irrational!

Likes phion

What is a limit at infinity?

A limit at infinity is a mathematical concept that describes the behavior of a function as the input values approach positive or negative infinity. It can also be thought of as the value that a function approaches as its input values get larger and larger.

How do you solve for limits at infinity?

To solve for a limit at infinity, you can use algebraic manipulation, graphing, or substitution. For rational functions, you can divide the numerator and denominator by the highest power of x and then take the limit as x approaches infinity. For irrational functions, you can use graphing or substitution to determine the behavior as x approaches infinity.

What are some common types of limits at infinity?

Some common types of limits at infinity include horizontal asymptotes, vertical asymptotes, and slant asymptotes. Other types include limits of rational functions, exponential functions, and logarithmic functions.

Why is it important to understand limits at infinity?

Understanding limits at infinity is important in calculus and other areas of mathematics because it allows us to study the behavior of functions as the input values get very large or small. It also helps us determine the end behavior of a function and identify important features such as asymptotes.

Can you use limits at infinity to solve real-world problems?

Yes, limits at infinity can be used to solve real-world problems in various fields such as physics, engineering, and economics. For example, in physics, limits at infinity can be used to determine the maximum and minimum values of a function that represents the motion of an object. In economics, they can be used to analyze the behavior of production functions as the level of inputs approaches infinity.