1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

[Calc II] quadratic Chebyshev approximation

1. Nov 7, 2011 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    (a) The quadratic Chebyshev approximation of a function on [-1, 1] can be obtained by finding the coefficients of an arbitrary quadratic y = ax^2 + bx + c which fit the function exactly at the points (-sqrt(3)/2), 0, (sqrt(3)/2). Find the quadratic Chebyshev approximation of e^x on [-1, 1]. Approximate a, b, c to 5 decimal places.

(b) Find the quadratic truncated Taylor series centered at 0 for e^x.

2. Relevant equations
    e^x = ax^2 + bx + c
    Maclaurin for e^x

3. The attempt at a solution
    For part (a), I did not know how to find the quadratic Chebyshev approximation of e^x, but I plugged in the different values of x that were given into e^x = ax^2 + bx + c in order to get 3 equations with 3 unknowns. This gives me a ≈ 0.53204, b ≈ 1.12977, and c = 1.

As for part (b), since it asks for a truncated Taylor series, I assume I need a value to stop at. I really don't feel confident doing this. Do I need to simply write the Maclaurin series for e^x?

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 7, 2011 #2

rude man

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Just a guess, but maybe what's appropriate here is the Maclaurin series for your found quadratic. You could then compare with the series for exp(x).

4. Nov 7, 2011 #3

lanedance

Homework Helper

maclaurin series is just a taylor series about zero, and it asks for quadratic so just find terms up to x^2

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook