1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Calc2: Solid of revolution about y=2 question

1. Sep 11, 2011 #1
    Hi All, I had a question about this problem I was doing and was hoping to see if I did it right.

1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Using Disk or Washer method Find volume of the solid generated by revolving the region bounded by y=sqrt(x), y=2, x=0 about the line y=2.

2. Relevant equations
    Disk Method: pi*Integral (R(x))^2dx where R(x) is the distance from the axis of revolution to the regions boundaries.

3. The attempt at a solution

Limits of integration are [0,4]

I was getting caught up with what R(x) is. Since I am revolving up around y=2 I am wondering if the distance is 2-sqrt(x) or sqrt(x)-2

Doing the problem with R(x)=sqrt(x)-2 I get:

8pi/3

Doing the problem with R(x) = 2-sqrt(x) I get:

8pi/3 again...

So what I am wondering is, in the future, which one is the correct R(x)? or does it not matter? I feel like it should be 2-sqrt(x) because that more clearly sticks out to me as the radius but im not sure.

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 11, 2011 #2
    Think of it this way: if you simply shifted the graph down by a 2 units, then you could rotate it about the x-axis as you always have. To do so, of course, you would take [itex]\sqrt{x}-2[/itex] and rotate it about the x-axis. I think the typical approach, however, is take the radius to be 2 (like you said) and simply analyze [itex]2-\sqrt{x}[/itex].

4. Sep 11, 2011 #3
    Ok, that makes sense, Thanks!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook