CalcBC-6 Derivative Question (1989)

• Thread starter Loppyfoot
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Derivative
This implies\frac{f(h)}{h} = -1 + \frac{f(0)}{h}In summary, the problem statement asks to prove that if h=0, then f(-x)=1/f(x) based on given properties of a differentiable function f.
Loppyfoot

Homework Statement

http://img96.imageshack.us/img96/1278/70542563.th.jpg
http://img96.imageshack.us/img96/1278/70542563.jpg

The problem statement is as follows:
If h=0, show that f(-x)=1/f(x)

So here is what I have gotten. f(x+0) = (f(x) + f(0)) / f(-x) + f(-0)
What does f(-0) equal? Is it 0, or 1?

Because if f(-x)=0, then after some simplifying, I get f(-x)=(f(x)+1) / f(x)

Thanks

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Can you folks see the image?

I didn't see it at first, but it says:

Let f be a function that is everywhere differentiable and that has the following properties:
(i) [tex]f(x + h) = \frac{f(x) + f(h)}{f(-x) + f(-h)}[/tex] for all real numbers h and x
(ii) f(x) > 0 for all real numbers x
(iii) f'(0) = -1

I must admit I don't see the answer right away. Anyway I can tell you that f(-x) is not zero, because of property (iii). In fact you shouldn't assume a value for f(x) at all, because that would mean that f is a constant function.

Probably you should use that it is differentiable:
[tex]f'(0) = \lim_{h \to 0} \frac{f(h) - f(0)}{h}[/tex]

1. What is the CalcBC-6 Derivative Question from 1989?

The CalcBC-6 Derivative Question from 1989 is a calculus problem that appeared on the Calculus BC Advanced Placement (AP) exam in 1989. It is a multiple-choice question that tests students' understanding of the concept of derivatives and their ability to apply the derivative rules to solve a problem.

2. What is the context of the CalcBC-6 Derivative Question?

The CalcBC-6 Derivative Question is set in a real-world scenario where a particle is moving along a straight line with its position, velocity, and acceleration functions given. Students are asked to use this information to determine the particle's position at a specific time and to find the acceleration at that time.

3. What is the process for solving the CalcBC-6 Derivative Question?

To solve the CalcBC-6 Derivative Question, students need to use the given information to find the particle's position function by integrating its velocity function. Then, they can use the position function to find the position of the particle at the given time. Finally, they can differentiate the acceleration function to find the acceleration at that time.

4. What is the significance of the CalcBC-6 Derivative Question?

The CalcBC-6 Derivative Question is a representative example of the types of problems that students are expected to solve on the Calculus BC AP exam. It tests their understanding of the fundamental concept of derivatives and their ability to apply derivative rules to solve real-world problems. It also assesses their problem-solving skills and their ability to interpret and analyze data.

5. What tips can help students solve the CalcBC-6 Derivative Question?

To successfully solve the CalcBC-6 Derivative Question, students should carefully read and understand the given information, identify and use the relevant derivative rules, and show all the steps of their calculations. They should also check their final answer against the given options and make sure it makes sense in the context of the problem.