1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Calculate a vector potential of a simple loop

1. Nov 13, 2014 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Calculate the vector potential of a loop with current ##I##, raidus ##a##. Calculate it for anywhere in space and use approximation where ##r>>a##.

2. Relevant equations
    ##\vec A=\frac{\mu _0I}{4\pi }\oint\frac{d\vec l}{|\vec r-\vec{r(l)}|}##

3. The attempt at a solution
    Ok, let's put the origin of my coordinate system in the centre of the loop and let the loop be in xy plane.
    than $$d\vec l=dl(-\sin \varphi , \cos \varphi , 0)$$ $$\vec r=r(\sin \vartheta \cos \varphi, \sin \vartheta \sin \varphi , \cos \vartheta)$$ and $$\vec{r(l)}=a(\cos \varphi , \sin \varphi,0)$$.

BUT this is all a complete nonsense because:
    $$|\vec r - \vec{r(l)}|=\sqrt{r^2+a^2-2ar\sin \vartheta}$$ and therefore the integral $$\vec A=\frac{\mu _0I}{4\pi }\oint \frac{dl(-\sin \varphi , \cos \varphi , 0)}{\sqrt{r^2+a^2-2ar\sin \vartheta}}$$ considering only cases when ##r>>a## gives me $$\vec A=\frac{\mu _0I}{4\pi r}\oint dl(-\sin \varphi , \cos \varphi , 0)(1+\frac a r \sin \vartheta)$$ but for ##dl=ad\varphi## both integrals are ##0##.

Ammm, what am I doing wrong here? :/

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 16, 2014 #2
    Hmm,

Ok, nevermind. I couldn't sleep last night when it suddenly hit me... This $$\vec r=r(\sin \vartheta \cos \varphi, \sin \vartheta \sin \varphi , \cos \vartheta)$$ is wrong. I should define a new angle ##\alpha ## therefore $$\vec r=r(\sin \vartheta \cos \alpha , \sin \vartheta \sin \alpha, \cos \vartheta)$$
    This seriously complicates things until you realize that it doesn't matter where your integration starts. You can easily start it at ##\alpha ## which sets ##\alpha =0## and this simplifies the problem a lot!

I was able to get the right result. So the problem was only that I said that ##\varphi =\alpha ## which is obviously not the case! :))

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted