1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Calculate angular velocities and alpha values?

1. Mar 21, 2015 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    A lightweight bar, stiff stick of length L, at either end are two small spheres of mass ##m_{1} = m_{2} = m##. Bar may turn in vertical horizontal axis passing through point O on the way its a bar ##\frac{L}{3}##. At first, the bar is vertical. Due to a slight impact, the loss of balance and start axis through O. Skip any friction.

2. Relevant equations
    a) Calculate angular velocities of the bar when it is vertical with an angle alpha?

b) Know that when the force effects the globe by acting on the ##m_{1}##, with 1,8 times its weight when he began breaking away from the bar. Calculate the alpha angle for the time ball of ##m_{1}## separated from the bar?

3. The attempt at a solution
    Please explain for me carefully, thank and sorry my bad English

Here image of this
    AqcXA.png

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 21, 2015 #2

Suraj M

Gold Member

Could you please rephrase.

4. Mar 21, 2015 #3

Suraj M

Gold Member

Assuming by
    you mean its fixed at ##\frac{L}{3}##
    First i think you might need to find the moment of inertia of the rod, do that then
    find the vertical height through which the ##m_1~and~m_2##fall through and move up respectively. find the total loss in potential energy.

Last edited: Mar 21, 2015
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted