Calculate Density of Wood & Oil: Fluids & Density Homework

  • Thread starter Thread starter scarne92
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Density Fluids
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
2 replies · 3K views
scarne92
Messages
6
Reaction score
0

Homework Statement



A block of wood with volume V floats in water with 0.67V submerged. In oil the block floats with 0.88V of its volume submerged.
(a) Find the density of the wood.


g/cm3

(b) Find the density of the oil.


g/cm3

I honestly have no idea where to begin. I started off with FB = pVg. rearranged it to p = FB/Vg. Plugged in p = Fb/(0.67V)(9.81). That's all the further I got. We won't even get to this in lecture but the prof still insists we do this webassign.
 
Physics news on Phys.org
Hint: If the density of the block of wood exactly equals to that of water and is careflully placed in the water, what part of the wood would be under water?
 
wow. that was so easy I almost feel embarrassed now. Thanks for the help though