Calculate dieter for maximum exit speed

In summary, during the lab experiment, the goal was to roll a marble down an inclined plane at different angles to calculate the maximum speed of the marble when it slides off the ramp. To do so, the equations mgh=1/2 mv^2 and V(in x direction) = Vcosx were equated together to get V(in x direction) = (cos x )sqrt 2gh, with h=LsinX. Differentiating this expression and setting it to 0, an angle of 45 degrees was initially obtained, but when the equation was changed to V^2=2gL(sinX)(cosX)^2, the angle was found to be arcsin(1/sqrt3) or about 35
semc
During my lab i have to roll a marble down a ramp at different angle. I am required to calculate the angle between the ramp and the table so that the marble will achieve the maximum speed when it slide off the ramp.

mgh=1/2 mv^2
V(in x direction) = Vcosx where V is the velocity of the marble and x is the angle of the ramp to the table.

I equate the 2 equations together and gotten V(in x direction) =(cos x )sqrt 2gh
where h=LsinX. So i equate (cosX)sqrt(sinX)=y and differentiate once and equate to 0. The answer i got was X=45 which is wrong. However, if i change the equation to V^2=2gL(sinX)(cosX)^2, the angle i got was arcsin (1/sqrt3) which is about 35. Why is this so??

Physics news on Phys.org
I am not sure I understand the experiment. It seems to me that the steeper you make the angle, the higher the speed will be upon exit. The maximum speed is sqrt(2gh) when the incline is 90o and the ball is in free fall.

The experiment is releasing a marble from an incline plane and the marble will roll along a straight path after it reaches the bottom of the incline plane. At first i also thought that the steeper the fast the velocity but if the angle is at 90degree then will not be a velocity in the x direction hence the marble will not move once it reaches the bottom of the plane

Last edited:
semc said:
The experiment is releasing a marble from an incline plane and the marble will roll along a straight path after it reaches the bottom of the incline plane. At first i also thought that the steeper the fast the velocity but if the angle is at 90degree then will not be a velocity in the x direction hence the m[tex]\theta[/tex]arble will not move once it reaches the bottom of the plane

OK. So you want to maximize the horizontal component of the speed, not the speed itself. The way you phrased the question initially is confusing. Look at it this way, the speed at the end of the incline is going to be

[tex]v = \sqrt{2gh} =\sqrt{2gLsin\theta} [/tex] where L is the length of the ramp.

The horizontal component of the velocity is

[tex]v_{x} = v cos\theta =(\sqrt{2gLsin\theta})cos\theta [/tex]

So the problem becomes finding the value of θ for which

[tex]cos\theta \sqrt{sin\theta}[/tex]

is a maximum. Without the radical it would be 45o. With the radical it's something else. Can you find what?

kuruman said:
Without the radical it would be 45o. With the radical it's something else. Can you find what?

Whats radical? I know the angle is arcsin(1/sqrt3) i just don't understand why i can't use
[tex]cos\theta \sqrt{sin\theta}[/tex] and if i use (sinX)(cosX)^2 i can get the arcsin(1/sqrt3)

Last edited:
Radical means "the square root symbol." As I said before

[tex]v=(\sqrt{2gL sin\theta})cos\theta[/tex]

I never said you cannot use this expression, in fact this is the expression you must use. But what is the value for θ for which it has the largest possible value? For θ = 0 it is zero and for θ = 90o it is also zero. So somewhere in between 0 and 90o it must go through a maximum.

I know what the angle is. I am just asking why is it that when i calculate the maximum value for theta using [tex]v=(\sqrt{ sin\theta})cos\theta[/tex] the answer is 45 but when i square the equation and solve for theta i can get the correct value for theta. Don't mind going through my working in the file attached and tell me which part i did wrongly.

Attachments

• PHYS.jpg
    PHYS.jpg
    36.2 KB · Views: 361
Last edited:
semc;2316257[B said:
]I know what the angle is. I am just asking why is it that when i calculate the maximum value for theta using [tex]v=(\sqrt{ sin\theta})cos\theta[/tex] the answer is 45 but when i square the equation and solve for theta i can get the correct value for theta. Don't mind going
When simplify
sin^3/2(θ) = cos^2(θ)/2sin^1/2(θ)
it becomes
2sin^2(θ) = cos^2(θ)

Last edited:
the marble also have rotational kinetic energy

andrevdh said:
the marble also have rotational kinetic energy

Indeed it does. The kinetic energy at the bottom will be

[tex]K=\frac{1}{2}*\frac{7}{5}m v^{2}[/tex]

Clearly, including the 7/5 correction due to rotational energy reduces the linear speed at the bottom but does not change the angle at which the horizontal component of the linear velocity is a maximum.

1. What is a dieter and how does it affect exit speed?

A dieter is a term used in physics to refer to the ratio of the mass of an object to its drag coefficient. It is an important factor in calculating exit speed, as a lower dieter will result in a higher exit speed due to reduced drag.

2. How do you calculate dieter for maximum exit speed?

The dieter for maximum exit speed can be calculated using the formula: D = m/Cd, where D is the dieter, m is the mass of the object, and Cd is the drag coefficient. By manipulating this formula, you can adjust the mass and/or drag coefficient to achieve the desired dieter for maximum exit speed.

3. What is the drag coefficient and how does it affect dieter?

The drag coefficient is a dimensionless quantity that represents the amount of air resistance an object experiences as it moves through a fluid (such as air or water). A higher drag coefficient will result in a higher dieter, as there is more drag acting against the object's motion.

4. Are there any other factors that affect dieter and exit speed?

Yes, there are other factors that can affect dieter and exit speed, such as the shape and surface texture of the object, the velocity of the fluid, and the air temperature. These factors can impact the drag coefficient and ultimately affect the dieter and exit speed.

5. How can calculating dieter for maximum exit speed be applied in real life?

The concept of dieter for maximum exit speed is commonly used in sports and engineering, such as in designing aerodynamic vehicles or optimizing the performance of athletes. It can also be applied in activities like skydiving, where maximizing exit speed can improve the overall experience and safety of the jump.