Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Calculate Efficiency with MPG and other things

1. Jan 19, 2013 #1

ISX

My engine has a data plate stating it uses x amount of fuel to make x amount of power at x RPM. I can use that to derive the efficiency but then all other calculations I use, such as finding the HP at a given load using the fuel amount I get with MPG at a given speed, are all derived from that ONE efficiency. I know that is completely wrong but I have no other way to do it given the needed variables.

My question is, is it possible to derive an efficiency % using just RPM/MPH/MPG/BTU content...? I have a general idea of the truck weight (6500lb) but the more I think about it the more I think all you would need is BTU/MPG/and maybe speed. It seems energy used (in BTU content x gallons burned) to go a certain distance would tell you work done. But I have no clue. What do you guys think?

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 19, 2013 #2

russ_watters

Staff: Mentor

This is very difficult. The engine efficiency and power depend on throttle position, so they can vary even at constant rpm. Putting the truck on a dyno and creating a performance map is the only way I can think of to do this.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook