Calculate Electron Charge in 0.6 kg of Water

  • Thread starter Thread starter Punchlinegirl
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Charge Electron
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
2 replies · 6K views
Punchlinegirl
Messages
221
Reaction score
0
You have 0.6 kg of water. One mole of water has a mass of 18 g/mol and each molecule of water contains 10 electrons since water is H2O. What is the total electron charge contained in this volume of water? Answer in units for C.

First I converted 0.6 kg to 600 g. Then I divided that by 18 to get the number of moles, which was 33.3. Then I multiplied it by Avogadro's number to get the number of molecules and got 2.01 x 10^25. Then I multiplied it by the number of electrons, and got 2.01 x 10^26. Finally, I multiplied it by the electon charge, 1.602 x 10^-19, and got 3.21 x 10^7. This isn't right.
Am I going about this in the right way?
 
Physics news on Phys.org
it seems fine to me.. why do you think it's wrong?
 
It's an online homework problem, and when I typed in the answer it said it was wrong... I have no idea why though... I don't know any other way to do it.