Calculate G Force from 40 lbs Dropped 8 Feet

  • Level: High School 
  • Thread starter Thread starter scott35
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Force
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
2 replies · 4K views
scott35
Messages
1
Reaction score
0
Hey everyone I have a question that I'm wondering if it can be answered, I'm not into physics and don't know how to calculate it out. my question is if 40 lbs fell from a height of 8 feet how many G forces would be created on impact. the reason I'm asking is due to a real life scenario. thanks.
 
Physics news on Phys.org
It depends on the braking distance at the floor. For uniform accelerations (which is basically the minimal-G-scenario), the product of acceleration and corresponding distance is the same for the free fall and the impact. Then you just have to add 1 to the G-value due to gravity during the deceleration process.
 
G-forces at the floor are due to the interaction of the falling body and the floor. If both are very stiff (hard), then your accelerometer will indicate many g's ... a disk drive falling off of your desk onto a concrete floor may hit 50 g's of acceleration, while it may be only a few if it hits a pillow.

See http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/G-force