1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Calculate Heat of Vaporization and normal boing point (in degree C).?

1. Feb 20, 2013 #1
    Using line equation y = -4058.7x + 16.10 with the experiment pressure measured in kPa instead of atm.

I already solved for heat of vaporization thus:

(-4058.7K)(-8.314 J/mol [itex]\ast[/itex]K)=heat of vaporization = 33444 J/mol = 33.44 kJ/mol.

Also, the vapor pressure for normal boiling point:
    (1atm)(101325 Pa/1atm)(1 kPa/1000 Pa)=101.32 kPa

I attempted to solve for T by rearranging the linear form of the Clausius-Clapeyron equation, ln Pvap = (-[itex]\Delta[/itex]H/R)(1/T) + ln [itex]\beta[/itex] into something like this (ln101.32 kPa)(-33444 J/mol [itex]\div[/itex] 8.413 J/mol * K)[itex]\div[/itex]1 - ln16.10 = T but I got something insane like 21857.7 K which even with subtracting 273 to get C is no where near close to the answer choices provided.

Any help with the last part would be greatly appreciated.

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 20, 2013 #2

Borek

Staff: Mentor

Re: Calculate Heat of Vaporization and normal boing point (in degree C

Telling us what is x and what is y should slightly increase chances that someone will try to understand the problem and what you did.

4. Feb 20, 2013 #3
    Re: Calculate Heat of Vaporization and normal boing point (in degree C

I had to turn the assignment in this afternoon so it really doesn't matter at this point.

Thanks anyway...

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook