Vapor pressure given boiling point and heat of vaporization?

In summary, the conversation discusses the calculation of vapor pressure for benzene at 50.0 C, given its boiling point of 80.1 C and heat of vaporization of 31 kJ/mol. The equations mentioned include ln P = -(Hvap)/RT + C and ln(p1/p2) = Hvap/R (T1-T2/T1T2). The conversation also mentions the use of the Clausius–Clapeyron relation and the definition of boiling point.
1MileCrash

Homework Statement

What is the vapor pressure of benzene at 50.0 C? Benzene's boiling point is 80.1 C and its heat of vaporization is 31 kJ/mol

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I don't want to be that guy who just says "I don't know" but.. All I know is that:

ln P = -(Hvap)/RT + C (and I don't know what C is besides "constant.")

and

ln(p1/p2) = Hvap/R (T1-T2/T1T2) but this relates the vapor pressure at different temperatures..

I am really not good at these applied things... any help is appreciated.

Physics news on Phys.org
You are right about trying to use Clausius–Clapeyron relation. What is the definition of a boiling point?

1. What is vapor pressure?

Vapor pressure is the pressure exerted by the vapor molecules above a liquid in a closed container at a given temperature. It is a measure of how easily the liquid molecules can escape into the gas phase.

2. How is vapor pressure affected by boiling point?

As the temperature of a liquid increases, the vapor pressure also increases. When the vapor pressure of a liquid reaches the atmospheric pressure, the liquid will boil and turn into a gas.

3. How does heat of vaporization impact vapor pressure?

The heat of vaporization, or the amount of energy required to turn a liquid into a gas, is directly related to the vapor pressure. Higher heat of vaporization values result in higher vapor pressure because more energy is needed to overcome the intermolecular forces holding the liquid molecules together.

4. Can the vapor pressure of a liquid change?

Yes, the vapor pressure of a liquid can change depending on the temperature and atmospheric pressure. As the temperature increases, so does the vapor pressure. Changes in atmospheric pressure can also affect the vapor pressure, as higher pressures will increase the vapor pressure and lower pressures will decrease it.

5. How is vapor pressure calculated given boiling point and heat of vaporization?

Vapor pressure can be calculated using the Clausius-Clapeyron equation, which takes into account the boiling point and heat of vaporization. This equation can also be used to predict how vapor pressure will change with temperature.