Calculate Initial Speed of Ball Thrown Vertically 14m in 3s

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
14 replies · 18K views
patelneel1994
Messages
26
Reaction score
0

Homework Statement


A ball thrown vertically from ground level is caught 3.0 s later by a person on a balcony which is 14 m above the ground. Determine the initial speed of the ball.

t = 3.0 s, d = 14 m, Vi = ?

Homework Equations


d = Vi.t + 1/2 a.t^2


The Attempt at a Solution


I have no idea how to get this problem. I don't know if the equation is right or not?


Thank You
 
Physics news on Phys.org
You can certainly use that equation. What would you use for the acceleration? (Careful with signs.)
 
patelneel1994 said:
How do I find acceleration?
It's a projectile. You should know the acceleration.
 
patelneel1994 said:
Is it 3 ms-2?
No. Where in the world did that come from?
 
I coudn't think of any. I thought time and acceleration some how are related, which are not.
Could we use gravity, which is 9.79 m/s2?
 
patelneel1994 said:
I thought time and acceleration some how are related, which are not.
The acceleration is constant.

Could we use gravity, which is 9.79 m/s2?
Of course you should use the acceleration due to gravity!
 
So if we solve using acceleration, then a = 0 right!
How can I solve using gravity? Is there any different formula?

Thank you
 
patelneel1994 said:
So if we solve using acceleration, then a = 0 right!
No. Why would you think that?

How can I solve using gravity? Is there any different formula?
You have the right formula. For the acceleration, use the acceleration due to gravity.
 
Sorry a = 9.78 m/s^2
I've tried that didn't ge the right answer.
14 = Vi . 3 s + [4.9 m/s^2 . 9 s^2]
14 - 44.1 / 3 s = Vi
 
patelneel1994 said:
Sorry a = 9.78 m/s^2
What's the sign of the acceleration? Which way does gravity act?
 
Gravity pull an object down towards the ground. a = 9.78 ms-2!
 
patelneel1994 said:
Gravity pull an object down towards the ground. a = 9.78 ms-2!
Use a proper sign convention in your equation. Let 'up' be positive and 'down' be negative.
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: 1 person
Tha gives me the right answer. So whenever its down - and up +
a = -9.78 ms-2
Thank you