1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Finding element X in an unknown compound

1. Jun 9, 2015 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    An unknown compound weighs 1.023 kg. It is known that element X composes 28.3% of the compound. Given that the molar mass is 240.5 g/mol, find element X.

2. Relevant equations
    mole = mass / atomic weight
    (n = m / Ar)

mole = mass / molecular weight
    (n = m / Mr)

mole = number of particles / Avogadro's number
    (n = P / NA)

3. The attempt at a solution
    I tried solving using the first equation, but I don't know them mass, Ar or mole of element X. I solved for the mole of the substance using the second equation, but I don't know how to find the unknown element from there. I don't think the last equation is applicable in this particular case, but I included it just in case.

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 9, 2015 #2

Borek

Staff: Mentor

Neither of the equations you listed is applicable here, answer is much more trivial.

Pretty basic math: you are being told x grams compose 28.3% of 240.5 g. How many grams is x?

Not that I know what the final answer is. Unless you did some mistake copying numbers, there is no element that fits.

4. Jun 9, 2015 #3
    I think I've worked out the problem. 28.3% of 240.5 g isn't actually giving the Ar of the element - it's giving the Ar of the element x the number of said element in the compound. I can't work out how I could find just the Ar on its own, without the number of the element factoring into the problem.

5. Jun 9, 2015 #4

Borek

Staff: Mentor

The only valid approach is to guess - assume there is a single atom, or two atoms, or three atoms per molecule and so on. Sadly, none of the numbers you will get gives a reasonable answer.

6. Jun 9, 2015 #5

epenguin

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

And then the first sentence of all makes no sense, and on any near guess as to sense it is irrelevant... I don't think we should try to guess further.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted