1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Calculate Mole Fraction, Density, & %w/w given Molarity and Molality?

1. Oct 6, 2013 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Consider the following aqueous solution at 25°C

Cr2(SO4)3, 1.26 mol/L, 1.37 mol/kg

Calculate the mole fraction, density and % w/w

2. Relevant equations
    χ = n Cr2(SO4)3 / n Cr2(SO4)3 + n H2O
    Unit conversions
    ρ= g solvent / mL solution
    % w/w = mass solvent / 100 g solution

3. The attempt at a solution

I attempted to solve for density first:

1.26 mol/L x 391.992g/mol x 1 L / 1000 mL = 0.493g/mL (The actual answer is 1.41g/mL)

Without density I do not know how to figure out the mole fraction. I am stuck at this part so far.

Thank you in advance.

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 6, 2013 #2

Borek

Staff: Mentor

Most general approach: try to derive the formula for conversion of molarity to molality. You will find molality is a function of molarity, density and molar mass - solve for density, all others are known.

Less general approach: imagine you have 1000 g of the solution. How many moles of chromium(III) sulfate does it contain (hint: use molality)? If so, what volume does it have (hint: use molarity)? Can you find density now, knowing volume and mass?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted